We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuba weather in september

Montreal
11 posts
Cuba weather in september

Can anyone please tell me if it's safe to go to Cuba in september since it's considered hurricane season. I would really appreciate any information anyone could tell me about weather during that part of year, i'm thinking of going early september.

Thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Cuba weather in september

We went early September 2005 (Sep 10-17) and had fabulous weather. It rained once (thunder) for about 20 minutes during dinner. Then we also had rain on the way back to the airport going home. So we could not complain... It was incredibly hot though, even late at night all of us were boiling.. We went before in March/April and it doesn't get as hot but September was fine also. I'm not sure if we just hit a good week last year but from what I understand if it rains it is usually in short spurts.

I don't think you will run into a hurricane problem I heard it's worst in October/early November.

montreal
Level Contributor
874 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Cuba weather in september

hi,

don't worry go in sept. but don't buy before the end of August. You will pay almost half price than winter vacation. As for the weather you never know. If you wait to buy your package you will knowl if there is a hurricane coming.

We go every year at this time and never had a problem. Last year Las brisas holguin for 850.cdn with tax for 13 days. selloffvacations

toronto
Level Contributor
888 posts
3. Re: Cuba weather in september

I've been to Cayo Coco 3 times in the past in September, the weather was nice sunny and hot, except for last year, we did have an alert, but nothing happened except for rain one day.

Check with your tour operator most of them are now offering hurricane insurance FREE (I am sure that is what they said) free and will offer another trip at equal or greater value.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
4. Re: Cuba weather in september

Ok, everybody wants to know what the hurricane season is like in Cuba. Last year (2005) was a record year for the number of storms for the Atlantic basin hurricane season (June 1st to November 30th). Here are the ones that affected Cuba in some way or other.

As you can see, only one hurricane eye (Dennis) directly crossed Cuba though others brushed by.

==================================================

Tropical Storm Arlene - June 10 - Brushed western tip of Cuba. Heavy rain in Pinar del Rio province.

Hurricane Dennis - July 8,9 - Directly crossed Cuba through Santiago, Cienfuegos, Varadero, Havana. (Severe damage)

Hurricane Katrina - August 24, 25, 26, 27 - Passed across southern Florida and caused heavy rain along north coast of Cuba.

Hurricane Rita - Sept 19,20,21 - Passed along the Straight of Florida. Heavy rains on North Cuban coast.

Hurricane Wilma - Oct 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Crossed Yucatan Straight, lower gulf of Mexico and Florida and caused extensive rain, flooding and storm surge between Pinar del Rio and Varadero on the north coast.

Tropical Storm Alpha - Oct 23, 24 - Crossed Haiti but caused heavy rain over eastern end of Cuba.

==================================================

Now while past records don't have any direct relationship with what is going to happen this year, at least it gives you some idea of what to expect and when. Draw your own conclusions.

You can get all the historical hurricane data at.....

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastall.shtml

For current info, check out the National Hurricane Center website at....

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml

Happy travels

Steve

Montreal
11 posts
5. Re: Cuba weather in september

thank you Steve that was really helpfull info from all of you, i actually just came back from Cayo coco, in april, and i wanted to go back ASAP. That means my last vacations of the year in september, i can't wait and now with all the info i'll wait before booking.....

Thanks again everyone

Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Cuba weather in september

Hi everyone: Great stats by Steve YYZ, but don't let it turn you away from Cuba during Hurricane season. We were between Francas and Ivan, missed them both, friends of ours were there during Francas, Varadero was barly skirted with the wrap around, we left just as Ivan passed Jamica, more of our friends were in Varadero as Ivan approached, the Cuban Gov. moved tourrists from Varadero to Houlgin, you need to remember that most are Tropical Depressions or just a cat 1 - 2 hurricane when they approach Dominician, Jamica, and Cuba its a mighty big ocean, pleanty of time to get relocated if needed. Its a great adventure. One just never knows. we were in Cayo Coco during Katherina last August, not a drop of rain, maybe we have just been lucky, we have always felt safe and cared for, no worries. Cheers floks travel safe & wise

7. Re: Cuba weather in september

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 19:19