We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your best tip for enjoying Cuba

Algonquin...
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Your best tip for enjoying Cuba

My best tip for enjoying Cuba is your own actions.

Be polite and understanding not loud and demanding.

I will give two examples I am sure everyone has more to add.

If you do not like your room you may go to front desk and ask to be moved to a different room. Ask nicely you may have to wait tell the next day so what big deal live with it. Or you could scream bloody murder and say the room is not fit for a dog. Bet ya I get moved quicker to the best room they have available. If by chance the bar runs out of fresh mint for your drink no problem tell the bartender don't worry it's all good. Or you could scream bloody murder and say you paid good money to stay in this dump.

The bartender may call me over the next day and say senior I brought some fresh mint from my house for you. Chances are no fresh mint for you.

Try to put yourself in the shoes of the person who quite likely is trying to help you. Many times what you are asking for simply is not available.Relax and enjoy go with the flow or the person most likely to ruin your holiday will be you.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your best tip for enjoying Cuba

So true, ratwalto....what's that saying - you catch more flies with honey than vinegar....relates 100% to situations like you give.

Denise

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,269 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your best tip for enjoying Cuba

To sum it up, don't sweat the small stuff. And not just in Cuba. :-)

Gibara, Cuba
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your best tip for enjoying Cuba

Smile like it was your last day before prison. Get out and about like it was your last day before surgery. Never take no guff from no one, enjoy the the sun , drink some rum and before dinner spit out your gum.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,307 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Your best tip for enjoying Cuba

You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you. Plus, a positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Algonquin...
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your best tip for enjoying Cuba

Thank You for your comments I see we agree.

While I don't expect anyone to hear from the other side I hope that even if one thinks before they act the thread was worthwhile.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your best tip for enjoying Cuba

It's not so much that, ratwalto, it's that people don't see themselves doing those things, even though they are...! It's a case of "it's always the other guy..."

Denise

Algonquin...
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your best tip for enjoying Cuba

Mad has the best idea for sure.

Treat the good people good everyone is happy.

Treat the bad apples good they will become confused and angry.

Kill those bad apples with kindness your still on top.

Algonquin...
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your best tip for enjoying Cuba

Sask the people that don't see themselves doing those things are the people I am trying to reach out to.

I have seen some people do and say things that cannot be explained.

Some are just beyond all help.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your best tip for enjoying Cuba

Mad that is my Avatar you are displaying. I want it!

montreal
Level Contributor
10,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your best tip for enjoying Cuba

Agree with you all respect them the way you want them to respect you and most of them will do the same ..

I also did say most as i also had my share of bad experinces not often but it happened as we have been ignored at the buffet because some of them are too busy with there conversation among themselfs as i can wait but when they ignore you for 20 minutes thats enough ...