We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why so many complaints??

Saint John, New...
Level Contributor
409 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Why so many complaints??

I have never gone on a vacation looking for negatives while it seems that many people do just that;

I have always enjoyed and appreciated any opportunity I have to travel. There are many people that are not as fortunate as we all are to have the means and/or the health to travel to these wonderful locations. I certainly enjoy every minute of the experiences I have while traveling and can happily say there hasn’t been a resort yet that I would not return too given the chance. Yes, some have their weak areas and some are in need a little TLC but if I came upon a resort that was that terrible then ….shame on me for not doing my research before I booked my vacation.

Cheers

Dapa81

Goderich
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why so many complaints??

Some people jist feel the need to spend hard earned money looking for downfalls.

Not me. I could care less. Just relax and enjoy the sun and the beach

Bear River, Canada
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why so many complaints??

Have always said a vacation is what you make it and if you go and focus on the negatives, you aren't going to have a good time. Read a review just recently where a person complained over and over about one bottle of water in their fridge and having to buy water. guess they didn't do their research because all you have to do is ask and they will leave you more. If something that petty is a spoiler on a vacation, why even go.

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why so many complaints??

i always go now to make my own decisions sometimes when i have read bad reviews i have been worried then i wondered if its the same hotel or country i have visited.Last year at the pcv some people who had read up on trip advisor where always picking faults as long as i have good food good staff sun a pool bar im happy

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why so many complaints??

Agree Jimbo, issues like the water bottle thing makes my eye twitch haha.

Way I look at it, I work 40+ hours a week, and keep a clean house with 2 preschoolers and a puppy. You can be sure that when I am somewhere where other people are cleaning, cooking, and taking care of me... I'll not be running around with my camera snapping pics of broken tiles or something needing a lick of paint! LOL but seriously, negatives can happen here at home, or away at a 7star luxe palace stay, dwelling on them only makes it worse.

A legitimate complaint, bring it to the proper person to deal with it on resort! If it's within their control, they will see to it to be fixed! My gripe is people who don't bother to say anything at all (over what could be a simple fix!) then come home and bash the bejesus out of the hotel/staff whatever. I don't understand it at all, but that's just me. My vacation is to relax and enjoy my time with my husband, not get hung up on little annoyances. To each their own I guess!

uk
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why so many complaints??

tha'ts not always the case-

We hit on a bad resort once - we were duped by the fact that the hotel had a massive club like following on both trip and more so locogringo-

Unknown to us these followers just used the place to meet up and drink and did I say drink- They all new each other and the staff and I can't deny they loved the place and tha'ts where the glowing reports come from, However, their beer goggled (or cocktail aided) reviews did not help us.

The place Akumal Beach Resort, Riviera Maya was worse than the most basic hotels we had ever stayed in. In fact if you look at some of the photos since I went I am sure that most would agree that even prisons would not be allowed to house inmates in some of the rooms there. (Unfortunately noone had put these on before we went). We could not stay there - no way- so we left (infact we got our tour opp to come from Cancun and have a look round - they were also shocked and moved us free of charge to another place thank god as we would have paid to move ourselves).

It is the only bad review I have ever written - we always do lots of research but that one time it failed. And yes I did moan (through TA reviews so that no-one else was duped)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Why so many complaints??

I like reading people's complaints and I hope that they continue to speak out about any little thing that bugs them. Sometimes I pick up useful information in thier rants. Sometimes not. Sometimes I've been to the same places and can understand what they are complaining about, even though they may be issues that are of no concern to me.

So keep posting and reviewing whatever bothers you and whatever makes you smile. It all has some value. Just depends on how you look at it.

@5 I stayed at Akumal and quite liked it, but my main interest in being there was snorkeling and traveling about visiting the Mayan ruins. I stayed in the newer section, the rooms were nice, the older rooms near the pool didn't look so good though. People I spoke to were not impressed with that section. Everyone has dfferent tastes and expectations based on previous experiences and backgrounds. Nothing wrong with that. Vive la difference!

Edited: 09 May 2013, 12:52
U.K.Wales
Level Contributor
97 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why so many complaints??

I am old enough to remember the days of holidays abroad long before T.A. and the internet and think how lucky we are to be able review places before we decide to go there. In the past I've been to many hotels that I wouldn't choose now, with the benefit of T.A. It's great to be able to have the benefit of so many different peoples opinions before you even book a holiday. So many people seem to review a place after they've been there and decided they didn't like it! Many people from more developed and wealthy countries don't seem to have any idea of how many poor people in the world have to live.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Why so many complaints??

If the toilet flushes and the shower works, everything else is a bonus : -)

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why so many complaints??

if my feet don't stick to the elevator floor [ ancon old hotel 23 yrs, ago ] the management hasn't changed for the worse [ it happens from time to time ] , the food becomes unrecognizable , we can normally go with the flow. even in hurricanes we'd had a blast. depends on your expectations and what you paid. I guess if we booked the high end resorts we might be a tad unhappy but we're 2 and 3 stars. as long as the snorkeling's good, I'm good. lol. carol e. and the grumpster, who likes the beer and cuban brandy not to mention spanish coffee [jibacoa]

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Why so many complaints??

A day without any Bucanero is a sad day indeed :-(