We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to travel (by bike)

uk
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
where to travel (by bike)

I hope to travel to Cuba for the first time next year. I am hoping to book a cycling trip; and as a single female, sadly probably wont travel alone; however, if this seems do-able then I would consider this.

My question is really about which areas I should cycle around. I have found trips / tours that go around the west of the island; also central Cuba, and Eastern Cuba. I hope people who know Cuba can advise me about each of these areas in terms of sightseeing, natural environment, and general thoughts about these areas. Would love to travel all over, but of course, annual leave limits my choices !! Many thanks

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to travel (by bike)

Check out the crew at www.wowcuba.com they offer bike tours

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to travel (by bike)

The person you want to contact is Rosa Jordan. She is the definitive voice about cycling in Cuba, especially for a single woman.

She posts as ttjpdo on the Cuban branch at Lonely Planet: www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa…

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

There are also a couple of serious cyclist here, but they don't post very often. Hopefully one will see your post and respond.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to travel (by bike)

Lastly, Cuba is undoubtedly one of the safest developing countries on the planet that sees a lot of tourists, but if you were my daughter I wouldn't want you cycling by yourself unless you were following a fairly set schedule that had you safely in town and into a legal casa by mid-late afternoon every day. That may be an overreaction, but I'm always a little nervous when I see foreign gals all by themselves off the beaten path anywhere.

I know Rosa has travelled solo for countless kilometres and even wild camped in Cuba, but she is very, very experienced with perfect Spanish, etc.

Cheers,

Terry

uk
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to travel (by bike)

Thank you both very much for that really useful information, I will definitely follow it up, and contact Rosa for more points of view on where to travel, Regards

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
14,311 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to travel (by bike)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cuba-Lonely-Planet-Cycling-Guides/dp/1864502495/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1378836534&sr=8-4&keywords=cycling+in+cuba

- long out of print, but the pages shown online should be of interest.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 19:11
6. Re: where to travel (by bike)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:17