We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Havana & Varadero: Family holiday in December

Portsmouth, UK
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Havana & Varadero: Family holiday in December

Hiya...My husband and i (& 11yr old) are planning a trip to Cuba in the latter part of December this year (8 nights). Our plan so far is to fly to Havana, stay there for 3 nights and then get a taxi to Varadero for the remaining 5 nights. Then of course taxi back to Havana for our flight home.

I cant find a package that fits so DIY seems to be the best route. Ive read lots of things and it seems that taxis are pretty easy to come by (even on Xmas Eve, which is when we will fly home). Does anyone have any advice? Tips? We've both never been to the country before but can not wait to get there :) Thanks in advance

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Havana & Varadero: Family holiday in December

Well, sounds like great trip just before Xmas... do you have any idea which hotels you'll be staying at? also, have you checked that you can get flights for both outward and inward journeys on your dates?

Apart from that, you'll need to organise your tourist cards

If you trawl around this forum you'll find loads of great advice, we can help with more specific questions..

ATB,J.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
14,303 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Havana & Varadero: Family holiday in December

I think the packages are usually built around one week or two weeks so your odd length may make things more expensive.

That is the start of high season, too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Havana & Varadero: Family holiday in December

Michelle, you will have great time!

I travelled all inclusive as well as DIY and DIY worked best for me! I stayed in Casa particular, in Havana as well as other parts.

Note: Varadero is veeeery touristy and access to most beaches is via a hotel. Hotels are best booked online as when you arrive then and there, the charge will be sky-high!

After various visits we found the best driver who knows the country well, who is responsible and punctual, we also met his family multiple times:) If you wish, I can give you his e-mail and you can arrange the dates/times with him- just write me a personal message.

I personally preferred beaches further from Havana- Cayo Coco, but Varadero is the closest to Havana, it is still a good option to enjoy the spectacular coast!

Let me know if you wish further advise re visa, money, budgeting etc...I am also from the UK and travelled to Cuba multiple times:) Just send me a PM

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
14,303 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Havana & Varadero: Family holiday in December

I could happily spend the whole 8 days in Havana. (And would be bored after a day in Varadero, but each to their own).

You certainly need to book your accommodation in Varadero in advance.

There are several intermediaries whose details are listed here - make sure you have their details noted.

5. Re: Havana & Varadero: Family holiday in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2014, 06:20