We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from Holguin airport to Santiago de Cuba

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
8 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer from Holguin airport to Santiago de Cuba

I have booked a cheap charter flight to Holguin but want to travel around Cuba independently starting In Santiago.

Can anyone recommend a company for a one-way transfer in private taxi? I have found a company called "cuba hotel transfers.com" online, has anyone used this?

thanks for your help

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer from Holguin airport to Santiago de Cuba

if you want help in securing an airport transfer I can help you with that but it would be with a legal government Taxi and not a private taxi... feel free to message me if you want further help.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer from Holguin airport to Santiago de Cuba

I meant to add that you will find Government taxi's waiting outside of the airport and you could try bartering with them and beyond the bus park, in what looks like a car park you may find private taxi drivers who you can negotiate with.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer from Holguin airport to Santiago de Cuba

1.) The Viazul Bus leaves Holguin bound for Santiago at 3:30am, 8:25am and 4:00pm. It's 11 CUC.

http://www.viazul.com/

2.) The Conectando Bus leaves the Hotel Pernik in Holguin at 7:55pm and arrives at the Hotel Melia in Santiago at 9:55pm. It's 11 CUC same as the Viazul.

Schedule here: cubanacan.cu/ofertasPDF/CONECTANDOCUBA.pdf

3.) If budget is no issue then a taxi is obviously the easiest/fastest. Booking one in advance will likely be expensive but it will obviously make the transfer super easy. Waiting until you land and handling it at the airport is a crap shoot. Taxi prices will vary wildly depending on luck and your negotiating skills. Best scenario would be to find a Santiago taxi that just dropped off someone at Holguin Airport and is looking for a fare instead of returning home empty.

Good luck and have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Edited: 21 October 2013, 18:25
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer from Holguin airport to Santiago de Cuba

That's a huge journey to be negotiating immediately on arrival. Are you aware of the distance?

I have read good reports of that company but no direct experience and is quite costly.

IMHO you would be much better off taking a Viazul or Connectando bus to Santiago and/ or spending a night first in Holguin and taking the time to negotiate unrushed with legal private and government taxi drivers. Note a rule of thumb is taxi for approx. 3-4 times a bus fare. But you could be asked initially for many times that. Depends how confident/competent you are at negotiating. DO NOT agree to a taxi without first seeing the Actual vehicle and driver!

Terry you beat me again but I am still being distracted by the freaks here at Venice Beach,

Edited: 21 October 2013, 18:31
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer from Holguin airport to Santiago de Cuba

To repeat what I posted in a thread yesterday about a taxi from Holguin to Santiago:-

You will also find local "private" taxis around the outskirts of the airport who will usually offer a much better price than the Govmt taxis, firstly please bear in mind that anyone with a licence can drive these taxi's and they don't have to have road experience, also these cars are privately owned cars and can often be old & subject to breakdowns or mishaps such as leaks when it rains, no aircon etc etc; but most importantly they do not have insurance cover for you as passengers like the Govmt taxi's do, therefore any medical requirements through an accident most likely would not be covered by your own travel insurance - now you will get 100's of people who say they use the "private" taxis and never had any issues; & I have myself, but due to a recent event, I learned about the insurance issues surrounding using "private" taxi's and that has changed my thoughts completely... of course, ultimately the choice is yours.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer from Holguin airport to Santiago de Cuba

Just a note of clarification - a legal private taxi DOES have insurance cover for foreigners and a normal travel insurance policy would not be invalidated by using such.

I'll report on numerous actual journey costs for recent trips using both govt and private taxis on our return to Oz.

Btw a legal private taxi is denoted by the sticker on the windscreen alongside the normal vehicle rego sticker.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer from Holguin airport to Santiago de Cuba

I refuse to argue with you Fidel but.................

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer from Holguin airport to Santiago de Cuba

LL, my Canadian Travel Insurance makes no differentiation between a government taxi or a legal private taxi either. So long as the driver is legally licensed to transport passengers then it's all good. Same thing with a private bus verses Viazul/Conectando or a private boat verses a government boat/ferry or a privately chartered aircraft verses a government airline, or a private casa verses a government hotel, etc. So long as they're legally licensed then my insurance treats them all the same, no worries.

I'm surprised your insurance says differently. How is that worded on the contract? Maybe refusing to acknowledge privately licensed Cuban contractors/vendors is a UK thing? That's really odd...

Cheers,

Terry

Edited: 21 October 2013, 20:44
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer from Holguin airport to Santiago de Cuba

Terry in my as yet unposted Just Back Report (not that I am LOL) I refer to our following the registration process for the second time in 2 years for a private taxi. Incredibly convoluted/ rigorous and yet those American monstrosities doing the fixed routes in say Havana are largely unroadworthy by 1st world standards.

I actually assisted a compatriot of yours through the compensation process following a collision he had as a passenger in a taxi particular - at no time in this process was there a provision to distinguish between particular or government.

Mind you I thought he had rocks in his head for not having any travel insurance! If he had been more seriously injured repatriation to Canada would have cost him a fortune ( and indeed given his financial circumstances - prohibitive).

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer from Holguin airport to Santiago de Cuba

I'm kinda an insurance geek because of the high value camera/grip/lighting equipment I have in Cuba, as well as having to provide complete insurance coverage for all foreign crew members (from a multitude of different countries) so it's one of the few legal things in Cuba (along with Americans travelling illegally) that I have to be sure I'm current and up-to-date with.

As everyone knows insurance companies will do anything to duck their responsibility so i's have to be dotted and t's have to be crossed or you're going to be on the losing end of any claim.

Thus far I've never never encountered an insurance company that balks at covering anything involving legally licensed Cubans, so the UK must be unique with their insurance regulations... it's an interesting situation that I will have to investigate before doing another British production there...

Cheers,

Terry

Edited: 22 October 2013, 07:09