We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency to buy cigars

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,786 posts
808 reviews
Save Topic
Currency to buy cigars

My cousin is going to Cuba soon and I want her to buy me a couple of boxes of good cigars.

She will buy at a Casa Habana or at the airport.

Can she pay in Canadian dollars or she needs to exchange for the local currency first.? Would she be better off paying with her with her debit card?

I should add that she is on an all-inclusive and will not need local currency otherwise.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 03:56
S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency to buy cigars

It would be a good idea to exchange cnd for some local currency even if she is at an AI resort.

I always use my credit card for larger purchases. Not sure she would do that , but regardless, the sales people will take her money in any form.

Braunton, United...
Level Contributor
504 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency to buy cigars

AI or not, she will need local currency for the exit charge.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,025 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency to buy cigars

She does not intent to tip at all and not buy anything, not even a 3CUC bottle of rum?

In any cases, all purchase will be done in CUC, and her debit card will not work, unless it has the Visa or MAsterCard logo on it. But credit card will work, unless it's issued by an american company.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency to buy cigars

She could use her credit card, no affiliation to the US of course. And of course she'll need local currencey even though she's on a resort. As was mentioned she'll need 25 CUC to get out of the country. Exchange some currency(CAD) at the airport, resort cadeca, or bank.

Cheers

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,786 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency to buy cigars

Sure she'll need a bit for that departure tax but the cigars will be around $500. Probably what she is paying for her whole week at the resort.

So what you are saying is that it is best that she uses her credit card. Probably better than carrying the cash to the extent that it does not cost more due to some charges.

Thanks for the input.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,025 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency to buy cigars

The credit card will be fine if she buys that much. Tell her to buy it in a store in Habana , not in the airport, since the airport does not have the best control on humidity and heat for the cigars.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,786 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency to buy cigars

Thanks for the advice.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency to buy cigars

The only charges that she will see will be the conversion from CUC to USD then to CAD. Of course add any additional fees her bank charges for International transactions.

Cheers

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,786 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency to buy cigars

Conversion to US$ then Can$? Two conversions? What's the point of that?

Then clearly cheaper to convert from Can$ to CUC and pay cash.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency to buy cigars

Works out the same.

Cheers