We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist Card: length of stay

Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist Card: length of stay

Hi guys,

In a bit of a pickle! Have booked flights to and from Cuba which mean I am there for 33 days, and upon researching the tourist visa it appears as though Aussies are allowed a 30 day pass. What would you learned travellers suggest I do? Is the government flexible on such matters if I were to pay an extra fee for the 3 days or should I just change my flights?

Thanks very much!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,649 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist Card: length of stay

You will have to renew your tourist card if you stay over the 30 days limit. Immigration are definitely NOT flexible on the dates.

I believe you have to take your tourist card to the nearest Immigration Office along with 25 CUC in stamps purchased from a bank..

Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist Card: length of stay

Excellent - thanks for the advice! I was under the impression that I might have to leave Cuba to renew it so only having to pay an extra 25 CUC is a relief! Thanks again :)

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,254 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist Card: length of stay

On top of the 25CUC in stamps, you will have to bring your passport, tourist card, proof of insurance and proof of the legal casa or hotel where you are staying.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist Card: length of stay

when we extended ours in May we didn't have to prove where we were staying..

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist Card: length of stay

Immigration officials (like any bureaucrat in Cuba) vary wildly, some are sticklers for the paperwork process, others don't care.

Bring ALL the paperwork Gen mentions, just to be safe. You don't want to have to come back and do it all over again...

Cheers,

Terry

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist Card: length of stay

Note that unlike at arrival if renewing visa you will almost definitely be asked for proof of health insurance.

Also add to Gengen's list your airticket.

Be also prepared to spend/waste several hours on this process and do not leave it until the day your initial visa expires.

Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist Card: length of stay

Thanks for all of your help guys, much appreciated!

It sounds as though this will be a whole new level of bureaucracy to wade through like nothing I've experienced before - haha! :) Had no idea that it would be such a convoluted/potentially timely process.

On the topic of casas - I am actually staying with a cousin in her rental apartment (she is married to a Cuban). Do you think this might cause some sort of paperwork issues?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist Card: length of stay

It s actually illegal for you to stay in a non-llcenced (for tourists) apartment unless you have an A2 Family visa(this is not a tourist visa). And at time of renewal is even more important that you are living legally somewhere.

So is your cousin's apartment a licenced casa particular? She should understand all this anyway.

9. Re: Tourist Card: length of stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 04:16