We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toaster oven

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Toaster oven

I would like to bring a small toaster oven to a friend in Cuba. Anybody ever done this and had problems? I also always bring a small coffee maker for ourselves. Can I get away with claiming we like our coffee and toast in our room in the am?

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toaster oven

I am sure that toasters are forbidden. Not sure about a toaster oven. There are some appliances that are not allowed due to the scarcity of electricity. I would not take the chance.

"It is prohibited to bring in global positioning systems, satellite telephones or other communications equipment such as listening devices. Electrical items (including toasters/irons etc.) are also not permitted."

Edited: 05 December 2013, 19:12
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,642 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toaster oven

They've been on the verge of relaxing the electric appliance import rules for the last couple of years but it hasn't happened yet because the government doesn't want to flood the country with inexpensive items while they're absolutely raping the locals with the overpriced government imports in the government stores.

Cheers,

Terry

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,806 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toaster oven

I have taken several coffee makers to Cuba without incident over the years but, at this stage, would not be prepared to risk taking a toaster oven. These can be easily purchased in Cuba though, as Terry says, at somewhat inflated prices.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toaster oven

I would not bring one at all.

The new Customs card we fill out makes you list every item of electronics and electrical items you bring it, they will flag you automatically for secondary inspection. Buy one there.

Moncton
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toaster oven

I have been going to Cuba for years now through Holguin and have take electric mixers ,last Oct I took a kitchen add stand up mixer for a friend .She needed a oven and I bought a small toaster oven for her in a store in Holguin which was NOT easy to find an I paid almost 400.00 for it .Iam taking 2 toaster ovens in this time when I go in April but if you do keep all your receipts from buying it and if you get stopped be prepared to pay at the airport .dollar for dollar so if it cost you 75 here you will pay 75 there .I had to pay 30 dollars to get kitchen aid in and it cost me 300.00 here .If worst comes to worst they will hold it for you at airport till you fly out .So when yo go home you get it to bring back.My friend there gets toaster ovens in all the time by friend like us .She has a bakery and makes wedding cakes so they dont last her long .Hope this helps

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toaster oven

Is there a copy of the new declaration form posted here somewhere?

Moncton
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toaster oven

Cuba Lifts Ban On Appliances That Hog Energy

By ANNE-MARIE GARCIA 05/21/13 05:27 PM ET EDT AP

Share on Google+

Cuba Lifts Appliance Ban

GET LATINO VOICES NEWSLETTERS:

SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW: Cuba , Latino Politics , Appliance , Appliances , Cuba Air Conditioner , Cuba Appliance Ban , Cuba Energy Crisis , Cuba Lifts Appliance Ban , Cuba Refrigerator , Energy Hog Appliance , Latino Voices News

HAVANA — Cuba has authorized individual imports of appliances such as air conditioners, refrigerators and microwave ovens, lifting a ban imposed in 2005 amid a wave of energy shortages and blackouts.

Islanders can now bring up to two such appliances per person into the country for noncommercial purposes, according to a law enacted with its publication Monday in the Official Gazette.

The list of approved items includes air conditioners with a capacity of less than 1 ton, ovens that consume less than 1,500 watts and microwaves under 2,000 watts.

The change could strain even further the already-overstuffed cargo holds of flights from places like Miami, Ecuador and Panama to Havana. Cuba-bound travelers who routinely check bulky bundles and multiple plasma-screen TVs will now start thinking about things like air conditioners, chest freezers, microwaves and ovens.

Even accounting for import taxes, it will often be cheaper to bring those items in from abroad than to pay for them in state-run hard-currency stores where the markup is said to be around triple as a rule of thumb.

Moncton
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toaster oven

FILE - In this Feb. 14, 2012 file photo, a man transports a new Chinese made refrigerator in the trunk of a old car in Havana, Cuba. Cuba has authorized individual imports of appliances such as air conditioners, refrigerators and microwave ovens, lifting a ban imposed in 2005 amid a wave of energy shortages and blackouts. Islanders can now bring up to two such appliances per person into the country for noncommercial purposes, according to a law enacted with its publication Monday, May 20, 2013 in the Official Gazette. The list of approved items includes air conditioners with a capacity of less than 1 ton, ovens that consume less than 1,500 watts and microwaves under 2,000 watts. It also covers things including water heaters, toasters and irons. (AP Photo/Franklin Reyes, File)

HAVANA (AP) — Cuba has authorized individual imports of appliances such as air conditioners, refrigerators and microwave ovens, lifting a ban imposed in 2005 amid a wave of energy shortages and blackouts.

Islanders can now bring up to two such appliances per person into the country for noncommercial purposes, according to a law enacted with its publication Monday in the Official Gazette.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toaster oven

Found it here:

www.aduana.co.cu/index.php…

there are only 5 lines to record cameras, electronics etc

Moncton
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toaster oven

Because Cuba has lifted its ban on all these items .The worse thing that happened to me was I was stopped and asked if I had a plan on selling the items I took in,I said no and I had to give them the name of who the gifts were for .Every time I go I take a unreal amount of items .But only 2 electric appliance per person .