We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negative comments vs Positive comments

North Bay Ontario
Level Contributor
467 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Negative comments vs Positive comments

Been checking the comments on my favorite resort (Brisas Sierra Mar) after a couple of positive comments a very negative one was posted just wondering how this would effect anyone thinking of going there, do travelers look for 100% positives or are they willing to accept the odd negative comment as an isolated incident. This of coarse would apply to any resort not just BSM.

Old Havana
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
El Malecon
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Walking Areas
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negative comments vs Positive comments

I would hope people would throw out the top and bottom reviews and just look at the middle ones. I think the middle ones tend to be more realistic and are based on realistic expectations. I also look at when the person joined TA, how many posts they have made and balance that with their review.

North Bay Ontario
Level Contributor
467 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Negative comments vs Positive comments

Good response thank you

Level Contributor
8,791 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negative comments vs Positive comments

When I read reviews, I am primarily looking for a pattern. If something.....good or bad.....is mentioned a lot, it might deserve my attention. If it's something that wouldn't affect me, then I don't care.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negative comments vs Positive comments

If a review is overall debasing a resort based on things I believe are insignificant or subjective (eg. weather, rude staff, food quality) then I ignore it completely.

Otherwise, like eeeefarm, I look for a pattern of many people mentioning the same thing.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
408 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Negative comments vs Positive comments

I would also take the time of year into account. Sometimes the least expensive time to go - June or September for example - also means that there are reduced services and fewer personnel working at the resort. On the opposite end of the spectrum, busy season - December, March, July for example - means long lineups, fewer chairs at the pool and beach as well as frazzled staff.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Negative comments vs Positive comments

Resort cheerleaders vs. people who have not done enough research.

If you look at 5* reviews, they are often multiple repeaters or people who seem to know the first names of all the staff.

If you look at 1* reviews, invariably they have started their holiday on a bad note and it gets worse. We've been given rooms on day 1 that few people would let their dog sleep in. It's how you make changes to ensure the rest of your week is OK.

Both have valid points but you need to dig through the BS to find it. Sometimes the internet makes our lives more challenging.

the moon
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negative comments vs Positive comments

I also agree that it's best to avoid the top and bottom responses. I think a 90 % interval (removing top and bottom 5%) would be the best. Which is a function that i don't know why TripAdvisor and many other alike sites haven't implemented.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
748 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Negative comments vs Positive comments

Always look at the number of reviews published, the kind of travels done by the reviewer, if there is a pattern, etc.

Also, some 1 star review only bashing, they don't take the time to enumerate the positives sides, or to be really detailed. The same, some fan go to a place years after years and they could throw stones at anyone that find fault to their place of predilection.

9. Re: Negative comments vs Positive comments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2014, 05:17
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question