We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi from Casilda Cuba to Trinidad & the Hacienda Iznaga

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
taxi from Casilda Cuba to Trinidad & the Hacienda Iznaga

How can I organise a taxi to take us from the port at Cailda on a mini tour too Trinidad ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi from Casilda Cuba to Trinidad & the Hacienda Iznaga

Ahead of time maybe a bit difficult. Whilst there would be a piece of cake from either Casilda itself or Trinidad which is only 5km's away. Note I think you are mixing together 2 places in your question - Manaca IZNAGA and Casa (HACIENDA) Guachinango which are a few km's apart and both in the Valle de los Ingenios?

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,461 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi from Casilda Cuba to Trinidad & the Hacienda Iznaga

FidelC is bang on , as usual.

I presume you are in a casa, as you say Casilda is your starting point. Your hosts should be able to help you with your transportation needs.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi from Casilda Cuba to Trinidad & the Hacienda Iznaga

I will be on a cruise ship - and arriving in the port. The excursion the ship offers is this:-

"The departure point for this excursion is the Port of Casilda; from here you will drive to the “Valle de los Ingenios” (Valley of the Sugar Mills or ingenios). Right up until the 19th century the valley was Cuba’s most important sugar producing region. Many of the sugar mills and estate houses remain, albeit mostly in ruins.

The quaint village of Iznaga, 14 kilometres east of Trinidad, is chiefly known for the Hacienda Iznaga built between 1835-1845 by Alejo Maria del Carmen e Iznaga, once one of the wealthiest sugar planters in Cuba.

The hacienda features a 43.5 metre tower which, according to legend, was built as a wager.

Alejo was to build a tower while his brother Pedro dug a well, the winner would be whoever achieved the greatest height or depth. As no well has been found, it is safe to assume that Alejo won the bet.

The tower has seven levels, each one smaller than the one below, and is crowned by a watch tower. From this vantage point Iznaga could survey his vast sugar plantations and 15 of the valley’s 57 mills. Three bells in the tower, each with a different chime, were used to ring out messages to the surrounding countryside.

After the visit to the Hacienda you will drive to Trinidad, Cuba’s oldest and most enchanting “outdoor museum”, declared a UNESCO world heritage site in 1988 because of its exceptional colonial architecture. The combination of lovingly restored houses with cool, tiled courtyards and a spectacularly beautiful natural environment, between the Sierra del Escambray and the Caribbean, creates a unique atmosphere which will be long remembered by visitors.

The buildings surrounding the central square “Plaza Mayor”, in the historical town centre, date from the 18th and 19th centuries when trade in sugar (from Valle de los Ingenios) and slaves brought great riches to the area. They were once owned by wealthy landowners, but nowadays most of them house museums.

There is a timeless quality about the place; old ladies in rocking chairs listen to their caged canaries on Colonial porches, and mark the passage of time as they have done for centuries.

- a buffet lunch will be served in a local Trinidadian restaurant (one drink included with lunch)

- during the walking tour you will be offered a typical Cuban cocktail, the “Chanchancarra” made from Honey and Rum, visit the Architect museum and the Holy Trinity church

- there will be some leisure time in Trinidad, time permitting"

I thought that a private taxi might do this in a more pleasant way!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi from Casilda Cuba to Trinidad & the Hacienda Iznaga

"the quaint village of Iznaga, 14 kilometres east of Trinidad, is chiefly known for the Hacienda Iznaga "

And is also known as Manaca Iznaga. Also by the way another story is that the tower was built so Pedro could watch his slaves working and that the bell was used to call them.

Also not sure how typical the Canchánchara (note the difference in spelling) is but does hail from Trinidad I think originally.

Anyway back to your taxi question - a private taxi would be a much more pleasant way to see things rather than joining the ship load hordes. The catch is that whilst there will be taxis at the (very tiny village!) port there is no guarantee that there will be a sufficient number. But even if you have to wait a while it is as I said only 5kms to Trinidad and presumedly you have all day?

I'd go straight to Trinidad first and avoid your fellow passengers tour group and then perhaps do the rural but later. Or just wander around Trinidad. Note you don't need transport within the town itself as the historical cobble-stoned section is not huge.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi from Casilda Cuba to Trinidad & the Hacienda Iznaga

thank you very much for your advice

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi from Casilda Cuba to Trinidad & the Hacienda Iznaga

De nada.

Hope the cruise is wonderful!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi from Casilda Cuba to Trinidad & the Hacienda Iznaga

I think we're on the same cruise a dxalso want to go to trinidad independently - maybe we can share a taxi?

8. Re: taxi from Casilda Cuba to Trinidad & the Hacienda Iznaga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:21