We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comments on my itinery - tour of the West

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Comments on my itinery - tour of the West

Arriving in Havana early evening and still to decide if we will use a homestay or push the budget out for a stay at the Nacionale or the Parque Central.

Day 2 & 3 in Havana

day 4 bus to Vinales, homestay

day 5 walking in Vinales and caves st Thomas

day 6 boat trip to Cayo Levisa

day 7 bus to Trinidad, homestay

day 8 Explore Trinidad

day 9 Sierra Escambray

day 10 travel to Vardero, AI hotel for 3 nights

day 14 return to Havana by bus for final nights stay.

would welcome your comments - we definately want to do the 3 nights R&R and the 3 days in Havana but wonder if I should try and squeeze in a visit to another place - such as Santa Clara / Cienfuegos or a trip to the tower at Matanza by train?

thanks

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,168 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Comments on my itinery - tour of the West

I think that your plan is realist. You would not have time for anything else , unless you want to spend your time on the road. Also, that itinerary leaves some room for improvisation and things you might discover on the way.

Have a great trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comments on my itinery - tour of the West

Doable but a fair bit of travelling. depending on how you are travelling perhaps a a few hours in Santa Clara to do the Che stuff and as a journey break on the way to Trinidad. I wouldn't stay the night given your brief trip (or stop over in Cienfuegos although it is one of my favourite cites).

BTW Nacional is a great place to visit for the views and/or a drink but accommodation itself much better at Parque Central. A better compromise would be to stay in an upmarket casa IMHO.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comments on my itinery - tour of the West

We are travelling by bus so as far as I can work form the Viazul site the times for a stop off at Santa Clara would be difficult. Is there any alternative bus services anyone know?

I'm considering the hotel in Havana because I'm a bit worried about arriving in the city in the evening tired and not knowing the place well and trying to negotiate a casa. We are 2 females travelling alone so the hotel seems a bit safer till we get orientated.

thanks for your help

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comments on my itinery - tour of the West

Oops accidentally posted under my daughters profile - that is my comment above!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comments on my itinery - tour of the West

I recently stayed at Hotel Nacional and it is nice to stay somewhere with a bit of a history to it. Some rooms have issues but just go back to reception and ask to change (check smell and hot water!).

Seems you are going Vinales to Trinidad - that is a massive day on the road. We did it via Santa Clara in a minibus and it was around 9 hours. So your day 7 is a write off so far as other things to do is concerned.

Vinales was beautiful - we went up to Cayo Jutias and it was beautiful - arriving early before the bus. Whole $40 for a taxi return.

In my opinion you don't have enough time in Trinidad (recommend Hostel los Hermanos here). You need a day in town and then a day to go out of town - the horse riding to the water hole, out to the beach, snorkelling etc etc. I'd spend an extra day here over Varadero.

Santa Clara - you need max 1 hour to do the Che stuff.

Cienfuegos was a beautiful town to visit.

I would also factor in extra time as I was told public transport can be a bit unreliable at times.

Overall - enjoy it!!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comments on my itinery - tour of the West

We did consider an extra day in Trinidad but it was at the expense of a day in Havana. We will stay in a case there for 3 nights so we have a day to explore the city then hiking in sierra escambray the next.

I will look into breaking up the journey to Trinidad with a stop off somewhere as it's a long day.

7. Re: Comments on my itinery - tour of the West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:18