We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

Colne, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire

Hi, please can anyone advise which car hire company is best and are there any particular pitfalls? We want to hire to and from Old Havana going to Cayo Levisa and Vinales.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,630 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k69527…

Cheers,

Terry

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire

As Terry says.

To add - there are actually only two car hire companies.

Colne, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire

Thanks but cheap or the expensive option? and thanks Terry for your link

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,841 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire

If it's your first visit to Cuba, you might want to consider travelling on the Viazul or Transtur bus to Vinales.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,630 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire

The two car rental companies are Transtur and Via Gaviota. Transtur has a few different divisions.

For such a short trip I wouldn't worry too much about getting a "high end" vehicle, but if budget is no issue then rent from Rex.

Be sure to follow all the directions in my link so you don't get scammed when you return it.

Cheers,

Terry

Europe
Level Contributor
26 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire

And beware of the scams. This happened to us tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k71587…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire

I have similar questions. Thank you for the information supplied so far. When I check the 2 car rental companies mentioned they go to a different providers website. Do they not have a direct website?

Also I would like to pick up a car in Old Havana and return at the airport but it seems that they say I must make this arrangement with the rental company on site. I would think I am just setting myself up to be taken, any advise would sure help.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire

No big deal. It costs 25 CUC to return it at José Martí. You don't have to advice the company. At least I never have and just pay them 25 out there.

No point in spending hours and days researching companies and prices either. Companies are the same. Fidel owns them all. Rex has newer/better cars and is more expensive than Cubacar/Havanautos/Via. Those three are the same and prices are the same.

Oddly enough walk in rates are always less expensive than any booking site. Problem is you never know if there's a car if you walk in, and if you walk in during high season they may not have a car for weeks or months. Anybody with the time to wait a day or two and going outside of high season, I would never reserve a car in advance.

Scams are there. Nothing one can do except use brains and if renting for the first time read Martians info on what scams to look out for. There are loads of scams in Cuba, the good thing is they hardly ever invent new ones, so they can almost all easily be predicted and spotted.

9. Re: Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:22