We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideal location?

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
902 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Ideal location?

I'm doing some very early investigations into a possible trip next spring. My husband and I stayed at the Villas Jibacoa a couple of years ago and would like to go back to that area with our two teen-aged daughters. We were happy with CVJ, despite the poor quality food, and may go back there with the kids, as it seems to meet most of our needs. However, ideally, I would like something like this:

A CLEAN budget resort (which CVJ certainly is)

Close enough to Havana for several day trips (again, CVJ fits the bill)

Decent food onsite or close by (CVJ has terrible food, but good, inexpensive meals are available up the road for a small price)

Nice beach for walking (CVJ does NOT have a great beach - it's basically a snorkelling beach, but weedy and rocky and short)

Safe/fun for teens (CVJ doesn't have much happening, but I know the kids would be safe to roam around at will - but it would be nice to have more of a family atmosphere)

If anyone has some ideas for other places that would suit all of our needs, please suggest! Thanks!

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
2,870 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideal location?

What about the Brisas next door?

S

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideal location?

I think you mean Breezes wick. Two different chains :)

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
2,870 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideal location?

Yes...LOL...I tried to edit that and it was too late!

S

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideal location?

No worries, obviously you knew which resort it was. I'd suggest Varadero maybe. It's about 2 1/2-3 hours from Havana. Jibacoa is about half way between the two. Not much else in the area and I think with Breezes you'd be looking at basically the same thing with nicer accommodations.

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
2,870 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideal location?

Varadero would be good, but they mentioned "several day trips" to Havana......Breezes would be much more convenient.

And I have heard (although I haven't stayed there), that the Breezes beach is much better for walking etc.

Havana seems to be important to them, so really, in the same area, the choices are limited.

S

Edited: 19 February 2014, 15:53
Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideal location?

True wick, I just don't think there's a better alternative. The OP sounds like they want to mix things up and try somewhere new. Varadero meets all the requests and would be better for younger ones. The only downside to Varadero is it is farther glom Havana. Otherwise it meets the requirements. BJ would be a slight upgrade in terms of the resort itself. Slightly better beach but not much different. I walked both, nothing special at BJ at all.

Maybe the alternative is to book a Havana/Varadero combo package

Edited: 19 February 2014, 20:09
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideal location?

Breezes and Villas Jibacoa are side by side so they share the same beach.

Breezes Jibacoa is definitely a step or two higher up the scale from Villas Jibacoa. Much better selection of food, nicer pool. Your only choice of food at lunch time at Villas Jibacoa is either the buffet or a take away hamburger at the pool bar. Breezes has a great beach grill where you can sit and eat.

There are few alternatives where you can be only an hour away from Havana and stay in a decent hotel.

Santa Maria del Mar is close to Havana, about twenty minutes, free bus service from the two hotels, their beaches are decent, but accommodations are lousy. I would never recommend those hotels to my worst enemy, (perhaps I would).

Edited: 19 February 2014, 20:30
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideal location?

If you think the CVJ food is terrible, I'd suggest you check out 4 star or better in Varadero. At least you will have plenty of other options for eating off the resort. The other choice is to do another budget resort in Veradero and eat off resort most of the time. Sadly, budget resorts and good food are a very tough thing to find in Cuba.

Veradero gives you so many more options with the kids and you're only adding a total of two hours to the Havana trip compared to Jibacoa.

9. Re: Ideal location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 05:18