We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction Work in Cuba

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Construction Work in Cuba

My husband and I own a general contracting firm here in Alberta, Canada and we want to explore the option of going to Cuba for 6 months, taking our tools and help to build. Infrastructure there is exploding. I know about the pay (none LOL) and the economy but was wondering if getting sponsored at that end is possible. I have met a few Cubans on my trips there the past two years and would be willing to pay for lodgings. What I need, I guess, is to find out if there are other Canadians that have property there that would rent it out for the 6 months we plan to be there. Any one here that can suggest someone or where to go for lodgings for this long? While I would love to hang on a resort that's probably not an option (unfortunately).

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Construction Work in Cuba

There's a big, long political/cultural explanation as to the possibility of your idea happening, but here's the short version: Impossible.

With rare exception the Cuban government does not welcome, condone or support private volunteer efforts by foreigners under any circumstances.

There's a multitude of other countries that would welcome you. Start right next door in Haiti...

Cheers,

Terry

"... What I need, I guess, is to find out if there are other Canadians that have property there that would rent it out for the 6 months we plan to be there..." It's a communist totalitarian dictatorship with VERY strict rules regarding foreign investment and ownership. No normal foreigners - including Canadians - can buy/own then rent out property there...

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Construction Work in Cuba

not going to happen period. We can not buy a vacation home there, there are few properties owned by Canadians but not in title. There are a few condo's in Havana owned by forgieners when Castro allowed it to happen a few years ago but that has since changed also. there are no projects like habitat for humanity going on it Cuba. Have really thought this one out ,,, like shopping for food, can you speak spanish fluently . it is a nice dream but maybe in the DR where there are projects that are going on to build homes. working vacations

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Construction Work in Cuba

"Infrastructure there is exploding"

=====

Say what?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Construction Work in Cuba

lol

Apopka, Florida
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Construction Work in Cuba

I did meet an American religious group in the Holguin airport last November who were returning from rebuilding houses somewhere around Holguin that were damaged by hurricane Sandy .

None were skilled tradesmen and they spent a fortune flying to Miami, then on to Holguin, and accommodations while in Cuba. I just thanked them but wondered how much skilled Cuban labor could have been purchased with what their expenses were.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
775 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Construction Work in Cuba

Kudos for your generous impulse, which I certainly do not want to discourage.

As already stated, Cuba runs its own show as far as property goes and I would be very surprised to see legitimate sales to foreigners any time soon. I say this in spite of the golf course/condo/99 year lease scenario that pops up regularly. Many of us have looked into the options, and there are no good ones. Even the foreign managed resorts are 51% owned by the Cuban government.

There are a few Canadian projects underway in Cuba under the auspices of CIDA...heres a link:

acdi-cida.gc.ca/acdi-cida/…CAR-914162012-RUP

About two years ago I was startled to hear a co-worker here in Fredericton say he was leaving his job to move to Cuba. It turns out that his wife, who works for CIDA, was being transferred there. Thats a lucky break! But also realize that living in Cuba is a far far different thing than vacationing in Cuba.

As far as volunteering/contributing in a project in the third world, or the Carribean, the previous poster has a great suggestion. Haiti really does need help. Living conditions might not be great there, and there wouldn't be many mojitos and beach days, but that's where you could really do some good. Its something I would like to do if I can ever retire.

Cheers,

Bruce

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Construction Work in Cuba

Two very good points above:

1) Cuba on a 1-2 week resort vacation and trying to live in Cuba for half year are two completely different things. If you felt in love with Cuba on a resort, you'll be traveling to a completely different country if going there to try and live an every day life. You will sorely miss - just to mention a few things: Internet, television and 'normal' shopping for groceries and every day items.

2) 'Haiti really does need help'. Cuba really doesn't.

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Construction Work in Cuba

Thanks to all of you for the thorough and thoughtful information. We decided to maybe try a month at a time until our 180 days are up to see how it goes. Fortunately, my husband is fluent French/English and I'm working on my Spanish. I agree that Haiti could use the help more and will definitely look into this avenue. You folks are wonderful and I'm glad I posted my question here.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Construction Work in Cuba

All the best to you and with your common sense attitude I'm sure that no matter what happens it will be a great experience.

Cheers,

Terry

Havana, Cuba
Destination Expert
for Varadero
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Construction Work in Cuba

Forget it