We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

brand of beer is it cuban or what/

Wallaceburg, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Topic
brand of beer is it cuban or what/

while staying at los galleones a short while ago i had the pleasure of getting a few cans of OSEKE or ocece,not sure of the spelling but is in a yellow can. these were purchased at the seafood resteraunt at the bottom of the hill at los galleones. it was a very nice lager with an excellent taste and lightness.would like to know if anyone has tried it and if so, is it available through out cuba or just in SANTIAGO PROVINCE. any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated &will be retained for future use.guess this is what happens when you are relaxed and enjoying a cold one while enjoying r&r in cuba. next time i will try to be more observant,and hope my vision is more clearer.

regards&later KEWATIN

Old Havana
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
El Malecon
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: brand of beer is it cuban or what/

It's Cacique beer

Yes its available through out Cuba, Just not always in the CUC stores

Edited: 08 March 2014, 18:16
Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Wallaceburg, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: brand of beer is it cuban or what/

thank you ddcuba37 that is the the beer in question. so is it a cuban national brand or a follower of the other 2 best sellers .did not see any of it for sale in the stores in THE TOWN OF CHIVIRICIO. was told it has to be ordered and comes in thru santiago.

many thanks for your reply.

regards&later KEWATIN

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: brand of beer is it cuban or what/

It's a national brand, Generally sold in CUP (Not CUC)

Surprisingly I have seen it quite a bit in Santa Clara, Also once in my mini fridge at Melia Buenavista a 5* star hotel.

The beer is quite good!

Edited: 08 March 2014, 18:31
Mentioned in this post
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,091 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: brand of beer is it cuban or what/

It's rated on this site:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cacique/132740/

Southern Ontario
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: brand of beer is it cuban or what/

Kewatin: you mentioned the sea food restaurant. Is that the place where the home was being reconstructed after a fire? Great lobster there if it's the same place. Did you walk up the hill before or after you finished the beer!!

Wallaceburg, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: brand of beer is it cuban or what/

sundog /yes that is the same resturaunt that the house burned down. they just about have it completed and were working inside with power issues etc. you are right best lobster in cuba,he keeps them fresh right out his backyard is the ocean. WILBUR &his wife are the nicest folks you will meet anywhere and his lobster is still only 10 cuc's and is completely ready to eat ,no shell cracking etc. his command of english is as good or better than mine.also this is where i was introduced to CACIQUE BEER .did we walk up the hill /no way we got wilbur to call us a cab for 2 cuc's we never walk the hill anymore, just drop into wilburs for a few cold ones and RIDE up the hill. i might also mention that lobster lunch or dinner is twiice the price on barcardi island {isla de damas] and not as good. another deal wilbur will do is a 30 lb pig roast at his establishment for 15 cucs. hope this info helps .

regards&later KEWATIN

Southern Ontario
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: brand of beer is it cuban or what/

I agree with everything you said. Funny about the cab, Wilbur sent someone out to get us a cab (4 people), the guy came back with a bus with wooden slats against each side to sit on, OUCH!). Been there a few times but he always gave us Cristal. Did you have to ask for Cacique? And we had a lunch at Bacardi in December, but it was the first time 2012. Sandy destroyed that island. Carlo is hoping to rebuild the restaurant, the way it used to be. Hope he is successful. Really like both places, both are so calm and each one is very unique and quirky! Great adventures there!

Wallaceburg, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: brand of beer is it cuban or what/

hi sun dog, no i did not have to ask for cacique, wilbur dropped of a few cans with lunch. i found out it is brewed in HOLGUIN by MAYABE BREWERIES a joint cuban-cdn venture.i will have to try a MAYABE as i see it is another lagerl i will give it a try when we return in april.the facilities at BACARDI island are all in tack when we were there, just noticed their food prices were a bit high,but hey it was the only game on the island at the time,and the paddle boat picks you up for free. exceptional snorkeling their as it used to be a bio marine study center ,so we were told.

regards&later KEWATIN

Edited: 08 March 2014, 20:55
Mentioned in this post
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: brand of beer is it cuban or what/

I'll vouch for the goodness of Cacique beer as well, although in Santiago I have rarely seen it. Usually at Holguin city in the fridges around Parque Calixto Garcia, I have found it readily available. Mayabe beer has that lightness to it as well, but I prefer Cacique. Quite tasty it is.

Mentioned in this post
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: brand of beer is it cuban or what/

Wow, I think it's close to being the most horribly tasteless brew in the history of beer. Sort of like water with gas that you throw a little instant beer powder into then shake and drink.

To each his own. Most Cubans I know only drink it when they only have CUP on them. Interesting to see it described as if it was rare, outside of Havana I see it a lot more than both Cristal and Bucanero - mainly because outside of Havana most 90% of all stores are in moneda nacional.

Mentioned in this post