We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American - independent travel to Cuba

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
American - independent travel to Cuba

I've read so much but I'm still a little nervous so please inform me on this subject. The obvious is that I know the American laws about visiting and spending US dollars. I've heard that Cuba does not mark your passport, to pay cash for everything in Euros or Canadian and to find a flight from Canada, Mexico, Nassau or other Caribbean location. My concern is about returning to the US as I point out what I've read: the OFAC has not investigated anything like this in years and the worst that will happen if you are overcome with guilt and start blurting where you've been the fine is $250 to $1,000 with no prosecution nor criminal record, kind of like a parking ticket. All responses are welcome but Americans are preferred to tell me of any first hand knowledge and experience.

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Old Havana
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
El Malecon
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American - independent travel to Cuba

I'm surprised that no one has stepped up with some advise.

bump

Canada
Level Contributor
5,241 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American - independent travel to Cuba

I agree. Some regulars seem to be..... missing.

Boots, you should be aware that over the past month there have been a lot of reports of Cuban officials stamping all passports. This seems to be pretty widespread and consistent. Otherwise everything else in your post is spot on as far as I'm aware. I've travelled to Cuba with US citizens/residents on a couple occasions through Toronto and they had no issues, of course that was prior to the recent reports of the stamping of passports. I suppose you could ask that they not stamp yours but I haven't heard from anyone who has tried that. But I also have never heard of an American getting into trouble with OFAC either.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
6,440 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: American - independent travel to Cuba

I had my passport stamped for the first time without asking last week. It seems that Aduana is stamping all passports now as a rule. I'm Canadian, of course, so no hay problema. How this affects Americans returning home...that I'm not sure. My guess is that no one will care when they see the stamp...but it would be good to hear from a few Americans who have recently returned from Cuba via a secondary gateway to hear of there recent experiences when coming through U.S. customs.

Terry

4. Re: American - independent travel to Cuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 20:37
5. Re: American - independent travel to Cuba

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 11:58
Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American - independent travel to Cuba

Is it really worth the potential problems as a US citizen to try and circumvent the law to visit Cuba? There are plenty of (legal) islands in the Caribbean.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
7. Re: American - independent travel to Cuba

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 22:05
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American - independent travel to Cuba

I received my first and only passport stamp in Cuba last year afters years of travel to the island. Agree with posts 4 & 5. Independent travel info with-in Cuba may be best gathered by investing in one of a series of guidebooks on Cuba. Also, forum-wise, your best bet would be to post here... https:/…americas-cuba Safe travels to Cuba!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American - independent travel to Cuba

Boots did you end up going yet? I want to go, but am also a little nervous about the passport issue.

10. Re: American - independent travel to Cuba

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2015, 05:16