We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Havana vs Trinidad

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Havana vs Trinidad

We are planning a trip next February and had intended to do 4 nights in Havana, 3 nights in Trinidad and 7 in Varadero. However, our travel agent has said that Cuban experts have recommended that we do 3 nights in Havana and 4 in Trinidad as there is more to see and do in Trinidad. I know there is only only one day in it, but we want to make the most of our time in Cuba. Can anybody advise me please? We are a couple in our 50s and not particularly party people! Many thanks.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 19:26
hfx
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Havana vs Trinidad

we were 2 days in Havana and only scratched the surface, there is so much to see and absorb. So much history. I have not been to Trinidad, so can't compare, but hard to believe there is more to do there. Some Cuban experts might say spend less time in Varadero, it's basically full of tourists and resorts, but if a week on a beach is what you want, it will do

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Havana vs Trinidad

Not sure where your travel agent gets her infos, but there is more to do in Habana than Trinidad. I love Trinidad, it's a small but pretty and lively town, with a great atmosphere at night, but Habana is a lot bigger, with more things to visit.

But if your more interested in nature (waterfalls, hicking, etc) then it's true that the region of Trinidad has more of that.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Havana vs Trinidad

Since you are already going to Varadero as you say, Havana would be more of the other end of the spectrum and much much larger compared to Trinidad. Trinidad has a good beach but not comparable to Varadero.

What is comes down to is your preference for a large city (Havana) with all it's offerings (restaurants, bars, museums, architecture galore) or a smaller quieter atmosphere in Trinidad with some good nature options nearby and where you shan't get lost while roaming in town.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Havana vs Trinidad

I would stick with your original plan and if you think that 3 is enough in Havana use the other day to travel up and visit Pinar del Rio for it has stunning views with its mountains,caves and amazing Flora and fauna.It is renowned for growing the best tobacco in the world.Just a thought.

Ian.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,959 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Havana vs Trinidad

Or reduce your time in Varadero and overnight in Vinales.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Havana vs Trinidad

if i was tour travel agent i would bbok you two weeks in varadero.. rent à car there and travel using maps.. and meets some friend and relax... leave one of your 2 passport and crédit card at hotel and have two credita card with you with you wife passport... put in in the safe make a colored photocopy of both passport with you... and you go to casa particular eatch and evry night.. you will meet friends and go back after without booking an hotel next time... The reason why i still use the all incusive is to keep my extra luggage and it's only 100$ more than just a plane.. and if anything happen (nothing happen in cuba anyway) i can still feed myself for a week...

Port Coquitlam
Level Contributor
359 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Havana vs Trinidad

Varadero4U has a very good point about the all all inclusive... the first few trips to Cuba we stayed in low end (but clean!) resorts and never felt like we were wasting money when we did trips to other parts of the island because we spent so little on our 'home base'. Not so sure I'd be comfortable with renting a car and doing all that driving, particularly on a first trip. I wouldn't want to deal with one in Havana that's for sure.. and i suspect it would be parked at the hotel most of the time anyway. And when you're travelling, you want to be looking at the scenery not a map... and heaven help you if you get into an accident! Cuba is not a 'car culture' country as most Cubans can't afford a car or find one to buy if they could, so you'd be sharing the road with bicycles, horses, horse buggies, scooters, buses, tractors, trucks.. you name it. I think you'd be much more relaxed sticking to buses and taxis :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Havana vs Trinidad

the car thing is simply freedom.. and yes it's secure driving during the day.. Not at night outside varadero not recommended...you can face a cow anytime or buggy with horse with no lights ...And if you get lost it's better you will visit other place that you wouldn't visit if you aren't lost. lol that' how i end up in the wonderful city of Cienfuegos

9. Re: Havana vs Trinidad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 05:15