We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Website Restrictions in Cuba

3 posts
Save Topic
Website Restrictions in Cuba

I will be traveling to Cuba for the first time in a week. Does anyone know what websites are restricted in Cuba/or if any are blocked at all? Also, do the U.S banking restrictions in Cuba apply for online banking as well? I've been looking for an updated list of restricted websites. Thank you to anyone with advice in advance!

1. Re: Website Restrictions in Cuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 01:56
Montreal
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Website Restrictions in Cuba

As far as I know, Skype won't work and you can't use Facetime on an iPhone. Other than that, most "normal" websites are accessible.

Great Yarmouth
Level Contributor
306 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Website Restrictions in Cuba

I am assuming I can Facebook message my daughter? :) Taylaboo

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Website Restrictions in Cuba

Yes, Facebook works, so does their chat. But if the internet connection is slow, you will have problem downloading the page.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,589 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Website Restrictions in Cuba

The Cuban authorities block a few sites that they regard as extreme propaganda (mostly from South Florida). I have never seen a list though. I heard that they don't block Yoani Sanchez any longer.

Last time that I tried, paypal would not let me operate my account when I was in Cuba.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 08:55
Ontario
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Website Restrictions in Cuba

it can also be remarkably slow so some site just hang. but as mentioned Facebook works, but something like Magic Jack will not

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Website Restrictions in Cuba

If the hotel you're staying at has wifi, you're better to use that, on your own device than their desktop computers.

We used wifi at MCC on our smartphones and it was just as fast as your average wifi connection at home.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
719 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Website Restrictions in Cuba

I also had a problem with paypal. in fact paypal suspended my account until I documented my identity and residence, and answered questions about my financial dealings in/with cuba. they were polite and efficient about it. They are a US based financial institution, so have to comply with US laws.

Bruce

9. Re: Website Restrictions in Cuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 03:17