We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scary Experience

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Scary Experience

So I just got back from a beautiful 5 star resort in Cuba, Food was delicious, Full of couples. Honestly it was VERY romantic, I loved it. I don’t wish to review the resort but rather my experience of what happened on my second last night there.

My partner and I were exhausted from a full day of sun, followed by some Champaign. We fell asleep around 11pm, only to be woken up by my startled hubby around 2am. He heard a noise of something in our room, and was pointing to the sliding door curtain rod which was moving back and forth very fast. We didn't notice anything else different and we eventually Fell back asleep. We both wake up to use the facilities around 4am to notice our room a complete mess. My night stand was moved far away from my side of the bed, and my lamp above my stand was tilted the other way. Picture frame beside the TV stand was hanging off the wall. but the most disturbing of all was the TV stand desk. It was moved a foot away from the wall and the flat screen TV was unplugged, even the chair that sits under the desk/TV stand was tilted back on two legs.

With no explanation of what happened we thought the place was haunted. (I know ridiculous right?) We don’t believe in ghost, but we couldn’t understand how else something like this happened. So we kept our mouths shut and were in shock for a couple of hours. We later went back to our room and I checked our sliding doors, only to notice that there is access to BOTH SIDES of the door. We only used one and made sure to lock that one every night. Turns out the other access was unlocked and this only means that someone must have come into our room while we were sleeping. (No ghost)

Now of course we reported it and we were given compensation. I don’t wish to review the place because it’s honestly a really amazing resort that’s well managed. Our room was ground floor that faced bushes that led onto the beach. I’m just freaked out and wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience? Ever? Anywhere? I’ve been to Cuba many times and I reassured my hubby it was safe. I feel we are to blame for this because we didn’t bother to check the other side of the sliding door. Still really freaked out 

Turns out none of our valuables were stolen and we obviously had our wallets in our safe. So our only explanation was they wanted our TV? Also a glass bottle of cream was on that TV desk and was smashed on the floor with the lid broken. I guess you can never be too safe. Let this be a lesson to all, I am officially terrified of ground floor anything, and I will become a door Nazi for the rest of my life. Thanks for reading and any feedback would be appreciated.

Signed

Freaked out

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scary Experience

I was at the gas station today, a woman took her debit card out of her wallet leaving it and her purse on her front seat and went in to pay, she came out and her purse was stolen. My point is petty/opportunity theft happens everywhere and everyday. Sorry this happened to you, but always make sure your doors are secure, thieves are everywhere unfortunately! :(

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scary Experience

Did you think to ask your neighbour if it was him returning to his room after having too much to drink and he wandered into your room by mistake?

You really should have checked the adjoining rooms doors when you arrived and maybe check them before you go to bed in the evening.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,639 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scary Experience

I'm surprised you didn't turn on the lights and make a complete inspection when you woke in the night with the suspicion that something or someone was in your room. I am a light sleeper, and any disturbance whatsoever would result in me making a thorough examination of the room and turning on the outside light (there usually is one). If anything seemed amiss, I would certainly report it to security. That said, Cuba isn't immune to petty theft. It is always a good idea to make sure doors are secure at night, and if you are concerned about this you can make a "cheap & dirty" burglar alarm out of a few noisemakers and some light fishing line strung across at the doorways.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
3,875 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scary Experience

You slept thru all this ...... after the rustling of the curtains

Room messed up , furniture moved , cream bottle smashed on the floor .

You were obviously hypnotized by a Poltergeist and violated . .

Johnny C

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scary Experience

Too much champagne...

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
873 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scary Experience

I'll assume you were on the ground floor. I always make sure I'm on the 2nd floor and higher.

Even so, I always make sure all doors are locked (especially if you aren't familiar with the hotel). I lock all my doors at home, so I do the same at a hotel. Heck, I lock all my ground floor windows at home at night.

Take it as a lesson learned. Go back to Cuba and enjoy it again. Just check everything is locked tight at night.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,135 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scary Experience

They broke a glass bottle they open your door and they move furniture well whatever you had i must have the same as you when on vacation i always have problems sleeping ...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scary Experience

LoL

I know I feel stupid, and possessed. Its definitely one of the scariest things that's ever happened to me on vacation.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scary Experience

Yes we were on the ground floor, and we did make sure to lock all doors. We only later discovered that the sliding door opened from both sides. Here at home, our sliding doors only open from one side :(

Also spoke with another more experienced traveller, and he said the same..."Always choose 2nd floor"

Lesson learned.

Feli

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scary Experience

LoL having slept through furniture moving,. Yes I will agree, too much sun and Champaign!

But I m not one to drink and unplug TV's and move furniture around.

Creepy :O