We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Cuba from US while on an ESTA visa waiver

Birmingham
Level Contributor
104 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Cuba from US while on an ESTA visa waiver

So I'm coming to the end of my 12 month trip (and 90 day trip in US) and I'd like to go to Cuba for a couple of weeks, flying from NYC. I'm travelling back to the UK by boat on the 27th of September from NYC and I'm concerned that if I fly to Cuba, they won't let me back in again :-)

Anyone know what the score is?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Cuba from US while on an ESTA visa waiver

First, you cannot fly from NYC to Cuba directly. You will have to go true a third country, like Montréal, Toronto, Nassau, etc.

Second, there will be no problem at all getting back to the US. As a none resident and a none Citizen, you are not subjected to the embargo.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
16,988 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Cuba from US while on an ESTA visa waiver

As Gengen says.

Re 1 - also look at Cayman Islands.

Re 2 - there will be no problem. My previous passport was full of Cuban business visas, and I never had problems entering the US or transiting through the US.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
104 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Cuba from US while on an ESTA visa waiver

Thanks guys. I was thinking Puerto Rico or Cuba as they are cheaper

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Cuba from US while on an ESTA visa waiver

Puerto Rico may be more expensive once you get there, but it will be much easier and probably cheaper for you to get there and back to NYC. Then again, you have to figure out if that's where you really want to go. (You cannot get to Cuba from there if that was what you meant by mentioning PR.)

Birmingham
Level Contributor
104 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Cuba from US while on an ESTA visa waiver

If I'm catching the boat from NYC it will be cheaper and easier to go to Paris I think otherwise I will have to go from Canada

Birmingham
Level Contributor
104 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Cuba from US while on an ESTA visa waiver

Paris? Where the hell did Paris come from :-) I mean Puerto Rico

7. Re: Travelling to Cuba from US while on an ESTA visa waiver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 06:16