We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing money and adapters

North Walsham...
1 post
Save Topic
Changing money and adapters

Hi everyone

I'm travelling to Varadero on 8th September (flying to Havana) can I exchange pounds for Cuban pesos before I go? Or do I need to exchange in Havana airport when I land there? I'm staying at the iberostar Varadero - can I exchange money here?

Also which plug adaptor do I need (it will be for uk phone chargers, Apple chargers etc)

Also what is an appropriate amount to tip hotel staff/taxi drivers etc?

Any extra tips or hints will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,763 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing money and adapters

Firstly let's deal with the money side. You cannot buy Cuban Convertible Pesos (CUC's) outside of Cuba. You can exchange some Sterling at the Cadeca at Havana Airport on your arrival and you can also exchange at the Iberostar Varadero, though they only have a front desk exchange so the exchange rate is likely to be lower.

Have a read of my Inside Page on Currency and Credit Cards at this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c69372/Cuba…

You will find the information you need about plugs and adapters at this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c104286/Cub…

As regards tipping, CubaJack wrote an excellent article on the subject which you can read here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c114818/Cub…

2. Re: Changing money and adapters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 05:17