We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing medicine into Cuba

south western...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
bringing medicine into Cuba

We are planning to bring some medicine to Cuba to give to the locals. Does anyone know of any restrictions on this?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing medicine into Cuba

You are allowed to bring into Cuba, up to 10kg of medicines to be used for Humanitarian Aid. This can be prescription (original packaging and NON-narcotic) or OTC medicines.

Whenever I bring medicines into Cuba (an I always use the full 10kg limit) it is normally a NJT (Not Just Tourists) suitcase full of drugs. It is packaged separately from my personal stuff, and is also clearly marked as Humanitarian Aid.

Shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes a doctor at Cuban Customs will check over the medicines if they are not familiar with the specific type, but overall no problem at all.

Have a great trip.

Steve

south western...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing medicine into Cuba

Great, thanks Steve.

Cuba
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing medicine into Cuba

One simple thing that is really appreciated in Cuba is Gravol, because it can be taken while pregnant.

Another good item to take is Children's Tylenol... Any parent who has spent a night with a sick child will understand!

Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing medicine into Cuba

I understand that if you contact the customer service department of some of the charter airlines before you go, they will give you a letter allowing you to go over the normal 20 kg limit for luggage with these packages of humanitarian aid. I am in the process of confirming this for my next trip. Anyone tried this?

5. Re: bringing medicine into Cuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 16:16