We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
toronto
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Jibacoa Dogs "Chi Chi"

Not sure if this the forum for this, but firstly I have just returned Oct 5 from Breezes Jibacoa, a nice resort very friendly, an impressive reef of shore, the food is more than passable, as most have said a gem in this part of the world. Our only regret is we fell in love with one of the dogs on the beach "Chi Chi" as we called him, a young, small collie mix, blk/wh/orange, very sweet. Having spent 2wks with him, we concluded we should see if we can get him off the beach, 2 days left before leaving we were told understandably to little time,expensive and possible quarantine. Back home we found out no quarantine, just rabies, health cert and carrier. I also have found contacts in Habana who may be able to do the above, but the crux of it is I don't know if the dog is still there, they tried taking the beach dogs away but some guests got upset so they backed off, but with the Ranchon opening up this wk, time is ticking, any chance anyone going down could look for Chi Chi. Thanks for any help.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jibacoa Dogs "Chi Chi"

A few years ago I was at Cameleon Jibacoa – next door to Breezes. A Canadian family fell in love with one of the mutts and wanted to bring it back to Canada. They brought it to the vet in Matanzas – by taxi – twice to get vaccinations. The staff at the hotel were absolutely horrified at the ostentatious display of the Canadian family, and they were very upset about such huge amounts of money being spent on an animal. Most of the guests supported the views of the Cubans that the Canadian family were really being silly. The night before the family was to return to Canada with ‘their’ dog, it disappeared. You cannot imagine the commotion! The family departed the next day without their dog … a few hours later the dog returned to the hotel.

Trying to see it from a dog’s perspective, would I rather leave a warm place where I could hang out and do what I want, including being pretty well fed by guests; or would I prefer going to Canada, and potentially living the rest of my life on a leash and enduring the frigid climate?

There is a great organization that offers support towards animal care in Cuba. Check out www.spankyproject.org

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jibacoa Dogs "Chi Chi"

Oh gawd, and here I was hoping they had resolved the stray dog problems at Jibacoa before our next trip.

The dogs are a nuisance and a health hazard!

It's not acceptable to find the room you have been assigned is flea infested because it was occupied by a guest who took one of the stray dogs in overnight. Having your beach bag piddled on is no fun either.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jibacoa Dogs "Chi Chi"

Kurtsoma … I agree with your sentiments. Some tourists treat the dogs as their pets, and when the staff try to rectify the situation, they sometimes are severely criticized by those tourists! My heart goes out to the staff, who have to deal with tourists who are on very opposite sides of dealing with the dogs. I don’t enjoy stray dogs hanging around – even though they can be really friendly – yet some tourists let those dogs into their rooms, and chewed me out for shooing the dogs away from my patio.

The Great White...
Level Contributor
993 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jibacoa Dogs "Chi Chi"

I let a dog into my room to sleep one night...only because the people downstairs had been looking after it and were really upset as they were leaving. They asked me to look after it...and foolishly I said ok. I woke up the next morning to woodticks (or something like that) crawling all over the floor from the rug the dog slept on. I would never do it again. I really do feel sorry for all the dogs and cats...and I don't want them killed. Not sure what anyone can do about the problem.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jibacoa Dogs "Chi Chi"

I commend Tojoe for the effort to help at least one dog. You cannot condemn someone for wanting to help another living creature. It may not save the people of Cuba, but it does take one dog from the beach.

Too bad the dog wasn't neutered instead of needled though.

Tojoe, It may not help too much, but if you go to the Cozumel, Mexico forum and do a search, there is a group there that rescues dogs from Cozumel. You may get some good advice as to how to go about it.

Good Luck!

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jibacoa Dogs "Chi Chi"

I am an animal lover, but hate to see all of the strays wandering around. The thing is though that the only reason they hang around the resorts is because people feed them and pay attention to them. If people were to stop encouraging them by feeding them all the time, they would soon move on somewhere else to find food. I have to admit that I have in the past been guilty of feeding and giving water to the dogs and cats hanging around the hotel, but having seen one of the dogs caught on the beach one day I decided that I didn't want to play any part in encouraging them to stay. I hate to think what happens to them when they are eventually caught by the 'dog catchers' employed by the resorts, but when it comes down to hygiene issues, or things like guests having fears or even allergies then the hotel has to do what is best for all of their paying guests. I have to agree too that I would hate the idea of moving into a room that was infested with fleas, ticks etc as a dog had been living in it before I arrived! Apologies if anyone disagrees, this is just my opinion!

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jibacoa Dogs "Chi Chi"

Tojoe.

You are correct ... confirming a current ChiChi's is needed.

Send me a couple of pictures and I will post them on my Flickr page and provide a link here.

losperros@spankyproject.org

toronto
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jibacoa Dogs "Chi Chi"

Well first off, never did put an animal in our room, I agree with not feeding the dogs, but tell that to spouses, it's instinct for some of us. I have taken at least 20 beach holidays, and this particular dog had a naive sweetness, almost as if he was domesticated, but a quickly becoming part of the beach dog gang, he was getting close as we left. I don't know about the dog perspective, sand and water you can't drink and are afraid of, let alone transient affection that ends with asthetics, or anti dog or disgust reactions. This may sound defensive, but you put a resort on the beach, keep them out or offer them transparent humane control services, not the cloak of threat. I have reached out to helful spanky(proj), I have reached out to pub relations no response, We only want to nurture or help an animal that broke through the pest tag, which is admitidly opinion. I have my doubts he is still there, just looking for confirmation.

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jibacoa Dogs "Chi Chi"

Tojoe. following up on you original post.

Dogs have been rescued from dire situations in Cuba and relocated to other countries. I have had direct involvement in one such rescue / relocation.The dogs named Shaggy was rescued from the streets of Trinidad and relocated to the UK.

Madrugada54 some love some hate animals.
Some help people some help animals.
There should be compassion enough to go around.
From the dogs perspective I would think several walks a day in a Canadian winter is better than a internal/externatal parasite,mange, fungal infected life with death while convulsing from strychnine poisoning, or worse.

Kurtsoma the way the resorts deal with the stray problem is not is not the needed solution.
As seen in this thread alone not all consider the dogs to be a nuisance. An I would say they are far from being a health hazzard. You are likely more of a hazzard to your fellow guests than the dogs are.
I agree that guests should not bring the dogs into their rooms.

Madrugada54 I feel one of your replies is worth repeating in it’s entirety.

“Some tourists treat the dogs as their pets, and when the staff try to rectify the situation, they sometimes are severely criticized by those tourists! My heart goes out to the staff, who have to deal with tourists who are on very opposite sides of dealing with the dogs. I don’t enjoy stray dogs hanging around – even though they can be really friendly – yet some tourists let those dogs into their rooms, and chewed me out for shooing the dogs away from my patio.”

ChillyLilly “Not sure what anyone can do about the problem.”

How about this?

Guest upon registering are informed not to feed dog / cats except in designated areas.

Guest are told never to bring resort dogs into there rooms.

The resort sets aside and area for dogs / cats.
In this area shelter food and fresh water are provided.
The resort designates a dog / cat wrangler that oversees the population.

Veterinary visits are made ensure the health of the animals and the population is kept in check with a spay / neuter program.
The resort promotes the fact that it has a humane population control and care program.
Guests are encouraged to bring supplies to help with the animal care. Surplus supplies will be made available to the surrounding communities.

What will all this accomplish?

Those that love animals will know they are cared for. There will be no need to feed animals from the buffet and thus encouraging their presence.

Those that don’t like animals can be assured that the resort will not be overrun. The animals that are in attendance are in good health.

Everyone should feel good that a humane and sustainable solution has been achieved.

I would be happy to assist in the start up of such a program.

Who has the ear of a resort that would be interested?

So let’s try to find Chi Chi. Let’s save this one an then work on not having this situation occur again.

If you do find ChiChi do not give him and Ivermectin based wormers.Collies are very sensitive to product with this as an ingredient.

Remember if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

Terry Shewchuk

Spanky Project

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jibacoa Dogs "Chi Chi"

I agree whole-heartedly that the challenge is with tourists – and it is not the ‘fault’ of the animals that some tourists choose not to respect the guidelines of the hotel. I saw hotel staff pleading with guests not to feed the dogs and cats, and I saw the hotel staff providing those animals with food & water out behind the resort – as you recommended.

Hey – I am a pet lover, and I have great compassion for the cats & dogs on the beach. However, it is, in my opinion, incumbent on tourists to refrain from treating those animals as pets – they are not pets. Some tourists misguided compassion is putting those animals at risk more than me shooing them off my patio.

Yes – there should be enough compassion to go around – which was why I recommended to the original poster that she contact your organization.