We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post Fidel

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Post Fidel

So, those of you that have visited Havana during Fidel's time and after - have you noticed any difference? Do the people seem any different and have the crime rates changed?

I had always wanted to go, before it became Americanised. Now I have the opportunity, is it already too late?

Hamilton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Post Fidel

You could hardly call Havana Americanized, or no more so than it was during Fidel's time. Remember a lot of the big hotels were built by Mob money and American interests. Havana has ALWAYS been a foreign centerpiece on the island. Be it Spanish, or English or American, it has always been a very cosmopolitan city, dating back to the 1700's. It has a rich, rich history, deeper than most cities in Canada or the USA. When cities in North America were wooden cabins and mud streets Havana was cobble-stoned avenues and huge buildings, rivaling those in England France and Spain!

James AKA GOM

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,642 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Post Fidel

Castro for all intent and purpose has been "dead" since the summer of 2006 (the last time he was in effect seen in public) so in a manner of speaking Cuba has been "post Fidel" for a few years already.

The changes since Raul took power have been minimal, and after Castro's death is officially announced I don't see any big changes happening then either. It's not like there's a pile in guys waiting in the wings, clamoring to overthrow the existing government...

Time will tell.

Cheers,

Terry

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Post Fidel

Hi

There are numerous other interests and friends of Cuba that may cause other influence or slow any involvement in Cuba by America.

Namely Venezuela, China, Korea and recently Russia has been knocking

JMHO

Mardi

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Post Fidel

Mardi is right notice a lot of Chinese buses & Kia cars this winter but only met one American.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Post Fidel

In 1982 UNESCO declared Old Havana a World Heritage Site. With the help of UNESCO, the Cuban government-sponsored company Habaguanex and Havana's Office of the City Historian are currently in the midst of a restoration project transforming Old Havana into a virtual architectural museum. In the last 11 years I've been going to Havana, you can clearly see the changes, restoration and progress, albeit slow.

IMHO, Havana isn't being "Americanized", but rather it's being restored piece by piece. And that process isn't contingent on whether Fidel, Raul or anyone else is running the gov't. The credit and tribute belong to Havana City Historian Eusebio Leal. Because remember, Habana Vieja isn't an architectural site, but rather a living breathing inhabited city, home to over 70,000 people who live, shop, go to school, etc within Vieja's boundaries.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,642 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Post Fidel

China and Korea have been big in Cuba (and northern South America) for a few years now. Venezuela has always been a player since they've been supplying Cuba with oil, and Cuba struggles to discover new ways to pay for it.

Still lots of Americans though if you look in the right places. For years the US has been the #1 foreign exporter of food into Cuba so keeping the resorts stocked with eatables for the foreign tourist palette is a big deal. There's also loads of behind-the-scenes dealings with Cuban Americans pre-investing before the floodgates open.

Cheers,

Terry

EEUU
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Post Fidel

Go see Cuba NOW, as things in Cuba are brewing now. I make this statement because of a Cuban oriented Blogg by Yoanni Sanchez known as GENERATION Y, just yesterday she was able to hold a microphone for the first time in here life and she describes a feeling of "FREEDOM".Her exact conversation is available to anyone with interest about life in cuba. This had not happened in 50 years prior, and if the curren Gov can have its way NEVER AGAIN. Enjoy your trip and take plenty of pictures.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,642 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Post Fidel

"... just yesterday she was able to hold a microphone for the first time in here life and she describes a feeling of "FREEDOM"..."

======================================================

Easy there, SAGUAMIA. Don't belittle her message by exaggerating the content of the blog out of context. Microphones are not illegal and that was NOT the point she was making...

Cheers,

Terry

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Post Fidel

You have been eagerly posting politics today. Well, as much as I hate to discuss politics in here, I must say I disagree a bit with your spamming of recommendations for Yoanna Sanchez who I see as Cubas best representative of the new generation of youngsters whos only goal is to be seen and heard.

As she reached blog-stardom as the voice that told the truth on Cuba, what happened? To keep her stardom she was forced to continuesly contribute with interesting news and so her imagination runs off at times, making her sound much like the Cubans in Miami and in the end - with about the same credibility as the state she 'tells the truth on'.

But let's stick to the issue perhaps.

Unless you are Yoanna Sanchez? You sure do seem to like her...

Cuba
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Post Fidel

Dear Gateaway:

The simple response for your concerns is IMO that NO, there are not really any changes that could be useful to considers Cuba a different place today at what it was 3 years ago.

Except for a couple of cosmetic changes for locals ( re: having a cell phone and being able to stay in a Hotel among others) the rest keeps being identical.

If you ask my opinion, I would say that you are in no hurry at all. It is to see if there would be any changes after all during the next 5 years or as long as the current leadership (re: recently restructured with more orthodox people) keeps in control; and if something would change would be discussed anyway publicly during this year’s Congress of the Communist Party by December unless it gets postponed again by Mr. President in here. Then by January 2010 the National Assembly (re: Congress) would take to the status of Law what it was approved by this Congress. Let’s be simply patient and see.

BTW the Mob built really few Hotels in Cuba while they were here.