We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sevilla Parc Central or Nacional

Ireland
Level Contributor
474 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Sevilla Parc Central or Nacional

Hi just got quotes for these 3 Hotels.. There is very little difference in the price, so can anyone advise on which Hotel to choose? Parc is 50 euro more than seville and 100 more Nacional (for 7 nights)

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Havana
Level Contributor
404 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sevilla Parc Central or Nacional

See the messages on "Havana Hotel April 2010"

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sevilla Parc Central or Nacional

For old world charm (slightly faded) I'd take the Nacional, but for location, for sure it would be either the Sevilla or Parque Central.

While it's only a 4 or 5 CUC taxi fare from the Nacional to Old Havana, I've always preferred the ability to wander around in the morning in Old Havana, hit the hotel for a siesta, swim or lunchtime relax, then back out for more exploring in the afternoon. That's why the Nacional is IMHO, not ideally suited for that compared to the other two.

Even if staying at the Sevilla or PC, you can still make a stop at the Nacional, walk around the grounds and property and enjoy the ambience with a drink on the back patio overlooking the outer harbour/Malecon area.

Much is personal preference of course, but those are my thoughts on making a choice.

salud

Steve

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sevilla Parc Central or Nacional

IMO, if this is your 1st time in Havana then I would stay at the Sevilla or Parc becasue of their location.

I keep reading comments that taxi from the National is only 4 - 5 cuc but I took the taxi 3 times from the National to the Sevilla and it cost us 8 cuc each time.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sevilla Parc Central or Nacional

Yup Tarx, you're absolutely right. Here's why.

When you get a cab at one of the big hotels you immediately identify yourself as a "rich" tourist and a few bucks extra go onto the fare. You also likely got into one of the nice shiny new modern taxi's instead of one of the Lada's.

I always grab one of the Ladas, at Parque Central, but on the east side, not in front of one of the big hotels. Then tell him to take me to La Rampa and "O" and walk the 100 meters over to the Nacional. Ergo.... only a 4 CUC fare, 5 max with tip. :-))

salud

Steve

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sevilla Parc Central or Nacional

8 CUC no less. Wow!

That's a new all time high for me. I usually take a cab down from Linea (a bit further than Nacional) and never paid more than 5, and usually 4.

In my next life driving a Lada cab in Havana I know where I'll be cruising looking for customers.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Havana
Level Contributor
404 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sevilla Parc Central or Nacional

Taking a taxi from the front of the National or the NH Parque Central has alway been more expensive.. Even when they use the meter..

For the National, walk off the grounds before getting a cab.. Walking down to La Rampa gives you a 50% saving..

At Central parque it is cheaper to grab one of the lada taxis driving by or walk up to the Capital building and get one there.. for the best prices..

Of course most taxi drivers will tell you their meter is broken and quote you an inflated price.. but thats another problem..

Ireland
Level Contributor
474 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sevilla Parc Central or Nacional

Thank you all for the great advice....will try all the cafe's, music venues and watch where we take our taxi's from. Thanks again.

8. Re: Sevilla Parc Central or Nacional

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 08:16