We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice cafe's

Ireland
Level Contributor
474 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
nice cafe's

Hi I love my Cafe's and people watching. Any advice on good ones? I hear there is a good one in Parc Central Hotel? Would this be expensive? Thank you

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
776 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nice cafe's

I would love to know too, nothing like sipping on a coffee watching people :o) I am going to Havana for the day and would love to do that. Thanks for the great Idea, I was wondering what I was going to do all day in Havana, I do not like shopping, and I think I need a rest after all the walking I do

Edited: 17 January 2010, 21:34
Ireland
Level Contributor
474 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nice cafe's

Oh so glad I was of some help. I love my coffee shops so much that I have been taking photos of them while travelling, I bought a book to stick all my photos in BUT have not got around to it yet.... roll on Cuba. When are you going? IF i go before you I will let you know what I find..

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Havana
Level Contributor
404 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nice cafe's

If you want to people watch, than you should do it at one of the outdoor patio's..

I would suggest the Francesa .. It's a little bakery/resturant that also serves coffee,beer and other drinks. Plus it has the most fantastic cakes.. You will find me going there at least once a day when I'm in Havana ...

On one side is the Inglaterra Hotel, on the other side is the Telegrafo Hotel, both have an outside patio that you can spend time at watching the people walking by.. For a change of scenery .. walk across the street and sit in Central Parque, plus the NH Central Parque is just steps away..

To me this is the heart of Havana.. Try it .. I think you will fall in love with it..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: nice cafe's

If you love your coffee's, then the place to head is Plaza Vieja and a visit to Café El Escorial. It's located at Mercaderes No 317 (868-3545) which is on the southeast corner of the Plaza. It is perhaps Havana's best coffee bar IMHO.

It's in a beautifully restored building and offers some great coffees including; Café Cubana (strong sweet coffee), Café con Leche (strong coffee with hot milk), and of course my favourite, Cuban Espresso. You can also get Frappés, Coffee Liquor, and believe it or not, there's also a Daiquiri de Café (coffee daiquiri). There's also a selection of sweet pastries, and I had this wonderful chocolate fudge concoction that was to die for.

Definately worth a visit and a great place for an hour or two of people watching in Plaza Vieja. Sit outside at one of the tables right on the plaza. When I need a caffeine fix after a couple of hours of wandering in Old Havana, that's where I head.

Ireland
Level Contributor
474 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nice cafe's

thank you all so much, I will definitely try these cafe's, can't wait. Don't suppose anyone knows if Buena Vista Social Club plays anywhere?

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: nice cafe's

The really do not exist anymore. All the famous members have died. A few of the not so famous leftovers from Compay Segundos old band (don't know if any of them was actually in the movie), play regularly - Just every about every Saturday if memory serves me correct - under the name 'Grupo Compay Segundo' at Hotel Nacional.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nice cafe's

BVSC ?

Those who once belonged or played with them and still alive also provide concerts in Old Havana on week-days.

Café’s?

Try also sitting at “La Mina” by Plaza de Armas for more people watching.

By “Sofia” in Vedado ( 23 / O) for something different from the Old town.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: nice cafe's

Ahhhh.... Cafe Sofia in the evening (9-10 pm or later). Now there's some real "interestiing" people watching. Young "hip" crowd and there's as many outside on the sidewalk as inside. Interesting, but still safe area.

…photobucket.com/albums/…LaRampa-3.jpg

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nice cafe's

But still if you are at Sofia during some hours during the day, there will be also other “kind of people” watching related to the amount of offices, hotels and other facilities in the area.

Two perspectives: day and night time people watching.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nice cafe's

"Those who once belonged or played with them and still alive also provide concerts in Old Havana on week-days"

I don't imagine that would include Eliades Ochoa would it?? A great guitarist who was part of that original BVSC (as well as his own group).

It's been a number of years since he's played here (Toronto), and I'm making my first trip to Cuba this Saturday. Would love to find him playing somewhere.