We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Won't be going back to Cuba

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
677 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Won't be going back to Cuba

We were 12 days in Cuba and it was our worst vacation ever; our luggage never arrived and it was the worst place to go shopping for clothes. We stayed at Casa Dania and it was the best thing in our vacation(Gracias Dania y Yosvany) In general, the food was bad and overpriced and most wait staff had NO interest in giving good service (with some exceptions) All of these things were enough to leave us disgruntled but the worst event was when the police stopped me and my wife on our way home after dinner. They mistook me for Cuban and threatened to take me to jail. We were with a couple from the UK and our Cuban salsa instructor. The police took our instructor to jail once they realized their mistake with me. We went to the jail and made several threats of our own before they would release him. The cops were extremely rude with all of us, the worst is to know that this happens all the time in Havana.

Vinales was a great place, we highly reccommend Casa del Campesino, the lobster there was the best meal we had in Cuba, went to Cayo Levisa great beaches, the worst toilets- too bad Cuban aren't allowed there!

Our expectations for this vacation were already low when we left but we were looking forward to getting to know the country and it's people. We are no strangers to poverty or roughing it, however from a tourist standpoint Cuba lacks the infrastructure and attitude for us to consider visiting again, especially at those prices.

From a political standpoint, suffice to say we have no interest in spending our money there.

Alfredo

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Won't be going back to Cuba

Well, I do not know where you others get your luck. It had been my experience with my x-novia that we got stopped practically everytime we walked down the street together. I am not near 60 and she isn't near 19 and were rather close in age for a Cuban/tourist relationship with only 10 years difference. They never did anything to her besides ask questions but it happened so frequently that it unnerved her enough to eventually start walking on the other side of the street or just plain meeting me somewhere while getting there separately. Not only is this my experience but the same deal with my friends who were involved with someone also.

52. Re: Won't be going back to Cuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 04:35
53. Re: Won't be going back to Cuba

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 12:09
54. Re: Won't be going back to Cuba

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 12:33
55. Re: Won't be going back to Cuba

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 12:33
56. Re: Won't be going back to Cuba

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 12:10
Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
677 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Won't be going back to Cuba

Cuba was Hemingway’s favourite destination, since we own a bar “Hemingway’s Cantina” we decided to follow His footsteps ourselves, learn new things and apply to our business, salsa, mojitos, daiquiri, brought a Cuban flag to hang at the bar.... and that’s all.

I’ll go back when things change and the money spend there goes to directly to the people.

Don Tomas, Costa Rica doesn’t have the music, cocktails, etc., and I think I won’t have much success with that. But thanks for the suggestion Ill check Costa Rica next.

Alfredo

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Won't be going back to Cuba

Hola Ay Caray

After reading some of your reviews I was surprised with this posting on the open forum. Your reviews did not have the same tone.

I think you only started to experience what Cuba has to offer.

You mention being mistaken for a Cuban, Your wife is not from Latin America I take it???

I have had some experience with being snubbed when out and about with locals but my Cuban friends usually take care of that.

Mardi

Edited: 10 September 2010, 21:05
59. Re: Won't be going back to Cuba

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 12:10
Edited: 13 September 2010, 12:10
Alberta
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Won't be going back to Cuba

DT

In much respect for you and being totally honest I don't want to experience the real Cuba. Long before I went to Cuba I was fearful mostly because of the odd movie and what I heard from so called experts. Being oppressed and harrassed is not my idea of a good time let alone a good holiday. My main interest in Cuba was for the beaches and it still is, feel pretty much the same way about Mexico and the Dominican, but love Cuba more because there are places in Cuba where you can go without being hassled by the locals to buy something. Yes I know this is not reality as per say, get enough of that in every day life and see enough poverty in my own Country.

I can understand the OP being upset about his vacation, but I do have to wonder if this post was to bring more attention and free advertisement to his own buisness in Mexico?