We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special Diet

london
Level Contributor
53 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Special Diet

Hi. I am travelling to Havana for 3 days as part of a tour of South America. I am travelling with my father who has a special diet and he needs to bring fresh food with him.

I am concerned about customs. I know that fresh food may be a problem to bring in. I called the Cuban Embassy and the British Foreign Ofice but no help at all.

I am a little unsure what to do. Should I risk it? Is there a scanner and they can see if you are bringing in fresh food. If that is not a good idea, suggestions are very welcome.

Thank you

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special Diet

Fresh food is banned for import into most countries. Cuba is no different.

www.sld.cu/sitios/med-veterinaria/temas.php…

What kind of food are you talking about?...

Cheers,

Terry

london
Level Contributor
53 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Special Diet

Thanks

Is there any way of contacting the customs direct? I cant seem to get hold of them?

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Special Diet

not normally...... and it is the same for coming to UK or Canada.

What are you needing to bring?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special Diet

holidaymaddddd, what kind of fresh food are you trying to bring into Cuba?

Cheers,

Terry

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,477 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Special Diet

To contact Cuba Aduana by e-mail, try: publico@agr.aduana.cu

london
Level Contributor
53 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Special Diet

I suppose what I would call regular food but it has to be prepared at home. Not all that possible in Cuba.

I know it is a real pain for me but I want him to have a great holiday as well.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Special Diet

forgive me ....but the chefs in Cuba are highly educated. If you are conderned about salt .... or MSG or something that he has an allergy to .....let them know ahead and they will guide you through what is appropriate for his in-take. There is virtually nothing that is not made from scratch.... straight economics. It is cheaper to make it themselves than to buy anything prepared.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,477 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Special Diet

Here is the relevant excerpt of information from the Cuba Aduana website, which you may already have:

Complete Banning:

• Sausages and other meat products

• NOT PAUTEURIZED fresh milk and milk derivatives in general

• Plants or plant parts, fresh fruits and vegetables, seeds

What can you bring? 

• Pork or poultry canned or sterilized meats; in the case of canned beef, only those originated in countries not affected by Bovine Spongiform Escephalopathy (BSE), as well as concentrated broths, duly identified and of recognized commercial brands will be admitted

• UHT fresh milk, condensed and evaporated milks, powdered milk, cured cheeses, duly identified and wholly pack of recognized brands

• Canned vegetables of recognized brands 

If your father absolutely requires something on the banned list that you don’t think is available in Cuba, then you may need to rethink travelling there.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Special Diet

"... I suppose what I would call regular food but it has to be prepared at home..."

=========================================

"Regular food?"

holidaymadddddk, that makes no sense. If it's nothing exotic then why do you feel that organically grown and expertly prepared meals to your exact specification is not possible in Cuba? I know loads of casa and paladar owners who are happy to prepare anything you wish.

Cheers,

Terry

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,745 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Special Diet

I have the same ''special diet' I do not eat manufactured food, and I never go hungry in Cuba.

Most food, even in the big hotels is fresh, well apart from the carrots, organically grown .

Food I suppose a lot of the western world has forgotten how to cook, fresh, from scratch.

As you are visiting Havana I would say plenty of chance to eat in many restaurants.

They dont use 3663 or Brake Brothers.