We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling Cuba

Ottawa
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Calling Cuba

Anyone know the best way to call Cuba.

Type of phone cards, Skype ??

85 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,061 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling Cuba

Skype is expensive to call Cuba and most phone cards are not reliable. Over the years, it seems that Comwave has been reliable and is 0.85$/minute. A new compagny seems good too, it's llamacuba.

Havana, Cuba
Destination Expert
for Varadero
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling Cuba

Llamacuba offers for 79 EUR cent/minute. If you convert it to USD, you get almost the same as Skype.

I use skype, by far the best sound quality.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling Cuba

The cheapest way and most reliable way to call is with Comwave, They charge 0.89 cdn per minute whether its to a landline or mobile phone. Cuballama.com has better rates but the quality is not ver good.

montreal
Level Contributor
604 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling Cuba

My Rogers cellphone costs 1.00 minute to call Cuba, why bother with all the secondary carriers and calling cards.

For a 10 minute call the difference is 1 dollar.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 22:40
Ottawa
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling Cuba

I used CiCi phone cards, and its costing me an arm and a leg

Brockville, Canada.
Level Contributor
936 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling Cuba

I have a MagicJack, includes all my long-distance calls in Canada or the US for $20 a year and to the UK is only 2 cents a minute, I call there a lot and the quality is great.

To Cuba it is 92 cents a minute, haven't tried it yet but will tomorrow and let you know how it works out. Bell Canada charges $2.59 a minute to Cuba.

You can call any regular phone with it, and you can take it with you anywhere (as long as you have a computer with high speed internet connection) and it still calls as though it is in Canada.

So I only pay $14.99 a month for my basic phone service with Cogeco, and $20 a year with the MagicJack, big change from the $50 a month or more bills I was getting from Bell.

Edited: 30 April 2011, 04:07
Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling Cuba

One of my staff works at london drugs (type of a variety store for those that are not familar) on weekends and says that they can't keep enough in stock. Magicjacks fly off the shelves. They have been around for quite some time... my guess is that many people are now using skype but I guess that wouldnt work too well if one wants to call cuba.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling Cuba

report back if it works as well for cuba.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calling Cuba

Magic jack wont work in Cuba due to the fact you need high speed internet access in order to make calls. I have tried it here in my office and I have fairly good internet connection for Cuba and can't seem to get it to work.

Edited: 10 May 2011, 21:36
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,607 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calling Cuba

ddcuba37, I use the Magic Jack every now and then between Canada and several offices in Havana. I also know a couple of Cubans with home Internet connections who use it to talk to the US regularity too. It works 80% of the time for me so far, but granted that's with better Internet connections that are normal for many Cubans.

Because of the rarity of decent Cuban Internet it's not an option that's available for very many relationships, but it works in a few specific cases, no problems. I haven't met anyone else yet who is using it though.

Cheers,

Terry

PS Some VOIP programs worked fine in Cuba - even with slow connections - before the Cuban government banned them a couple of years ago...

Reply to: Calling Cuba
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted