We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Tours to Varadero from Havana.

Mexico
Level Contributor
228 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Day Tours to Varadero from Havana.

My family and I will visit Havana next November for 4 days, but I have talked with my cousin that have just come back from Cuba and told me that we could go to Varadero in a day tour, I thought that we could go to Playas del Este, that is nearer from Havana instead of Varadero, so I would like to know if it is worthy?

I have read that Varadero is like Cancun (beaches) and how is the best way to get to Varadero with a tour agency from hotel Nacional or with a Taxi and how far (time) is Varadero from Havana? She told me that with a travel agency day tour they take you to an all inclusive hotel where you can use the ammenities of the hotel. Are there anything else to see in Varadero than beaches?

Is it far to walk from Hotel Nacional to Havana Vieja? and is it safe?

Another question that I have is related with restaurants, my cousin recommended to us Los Nardos Restaurant and we will visit this restaurant, but my father loves seafood, can you please recommend any safe restaurant that serves seafood?

And any other advice will also be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

montreal
Level Contributor
616 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Tours to Varadero from Havana.

Mr. Rocco2006 if you have survived this long in Mexico with all of the issues that abound in that Country you should not feel at all nervous about travel in Cuba.

Going from the Nacional Hotel to Habana Vieja even on foot is one of the safest walks you will ever take.

And yes Los nardos is an excellent choice for restaurant. If you want the freshest and maybe best choice of seafood in all of Cuba I might suggest Don Cangrejo restaurant in Miramar, managed by the Cuban dept. of Fisheries you will always have fresh seafood.

Mexico
Level Contributor
228 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Tours to Varadero from Havana.

Thanks for your advice cps66, specially for Don Cangrejo, and just one question do you think that it's better going to Varadero or Playas del Este will be ok?

Thanks Again.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Tours to Varadero from Havana.

The beach area in Varadero is alot better than Playas Del Este, If I were you I would i would try to visit both if time permits you to. Los Nardos actually offers up great seafood options at very reasonable prices. You might also find the Castropol alongside the Malecon to be good option as well. Sorry can not comment on Don Cangrejo never dined there.

Edited: 21 September 2011, 00:45
Mexico
Level Contributor
228 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Tours to Varadero from Havana.

Thanks for your advices, I'll try to visit Los Nardos, Castropol and Don Crangrejo, and also Varadero.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Tours to Varadero from Havana.

A walk from Hotel Nacional in Vedado along the Malecon to the east end of the Malecon and then up the Prado to Habana Vieja should be about 2 to 3 miles and should be safe. At night, the Malecon is lined with people.

Santa Maria beach in the Playa is a beautiful beach. We went in '06. You can get there on the open top red tour bus from Parque Central for 3 CUCs roundtrip but they stop running around 6 or 6:30 PM. As for Veradero, you can get there by Vuazul bus for 10 CUCs each way. I'd just go to Santa Maria.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
781 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Tours to Varadero from Havana.

It's about a 2.5-3hr drive to Varadero from Havana. I would recommend a 1 night tour, rather than just a day tour.

NJ
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Tours to Varadero from Havana.

I booked a one day tour to Varadero this past July. IMHO, it was a long, tiring day. The bus left at 7am from El Capitolio making a bathroom/food stop so by the time we got to Varadero it was 10AM. We were picked up around 4-4:30pm and we also made a bathroom stop on the way back to Habana. Beach is beatiful but I would not do a one day tour again unless it's on my own because you lose time with the stops and the drop-offs to the different hotels....

There is a "downtown" part in Varadero to stroll that has restaurants and some shops but it may not be within a walking distance from the hotel you pick for the day tour (or whichever is available).

If you are only going to be in Habana for 4 days then I would go to Playa del Este. Take the 3CUC bus service and within half hour, 40 mins tops, you'll be at the beach.....

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Tours to Varadero from Havana.

Taxi from Old Havana to Playa del Este is about 15CUC one way, and only 25 minutes.

Taking 5 hours to go to Varadero and back seems a bit much for trying to have a relaxing day.

9. Re: Day Tours to Varadero from Havana.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 04:18