We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling in Cuba

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Travelling in Cuba

Hi I am going to Cuba for 2 weeks over Xmas for the first time. I have loads of questions which include the following:

1. What is the best mode of travel around Cuba, the Couch?

2. Is there a flight that goes from Santiago de Cuba to

Trinidad? Also is there a train and how long is the journey and how much does it costs?

3. How many days would you recommend to stay in Havana, Santiago de Cuba and Trinidad?

4. Are there any other areas in Cuba you would recommend?

5. I have a passion for Salsa dancing so if you can

recommend some Salsa clubs that would be great. Are Salsa clubs open on the week day in Havana or just the weekends?

6. Also I would like to find a piano teacher to learn Cuban

Jazz. Is there someone you could recommend?

Look forward to hearing from you and many thanks,

An

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling in Cuba

1. What is the best mode of travel around Cuba, the Couch?

--Viazul Bus (www.viazul.com)

2. Is there a flight that goes from Santiago de Cuba to Trinidad? Also is there a train and how long is the journey and how much does it costs?

--No flight and train is not recommended (very irregular, often very very late.

3. How many days would you recommend to stay in Havana, Santiago de Cuba and Trinidad?

--Between 3 days and 1 week each, depending on what you want to see.

4. Are there any other areas in Cuba you would recommend?

--Vinales is amazing...

5. I have a passion for Salsa dancing so if you can recommend some Salsa clubs that would be great. Are Salsa clubs open on the week day in Havana or just the weekends?

--There are salsa clubs in all 3 cities that are open every day of the week.

6. Also I would like to find a piano teacher to learn Cuban Jazz. Is there someone you could recommend?

--Can't help you here... but if you talk to a few bands in any of the cities I bet you'll find someone...

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling in Cuba

I would leave out Santiago with just two weeks in total. Perhaps, if you like nature, replace it with Viñales as suggested above. Thus covering the classic western triangle of Havana, Trinidad and Viñales. You're looking at covering way too much if you include Santiago. It's a looooong bumpy ride down there and before you get settled you'll be on your way back again. Wasting way too much time on busses.

For salsa in Havana, try Hotel Florida on Obispo or 1830 on Malecón by the tunnel.

montreal
Level Contributor
604 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling in Cuba

The Vinales trip is a fantastic experience the geography and geology of the area are both incredible.

The 1830 club near the Almendares tunnel is a very nice place to drink and dance the rear outdoor terrace has a very impressive construction of coral that makes a very big maze like area full of nooks and benches.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling in Cuba

Many thanks for your responses, we've decided to do the Vinales trip and not Santiago de Cuba and will take your other comments on board :)

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
44 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling in Cuba

You have made a sensible choice based upon good advice. If flying in to Jose Marti in Havana, the taxi fare to an address in Habana Vieja should be 25 CUC's. spend three nights there. On the second day take a taxi to the Viazul bus station (by the zoo) cost 8-10 CUC's and reserve your seat to Vinales. Three nights in Vinales. There is now I believe a Cubatur bus service directly from Vinales to Trinidad, which can be booked at the bus office on the main street in Vinales. Six nights in Trinidad - you can visit the Playa d'Ancon if you want to experience a nice beach, there is a bus from the centre of Trinidad at 9.45 which returns at 5.00 p.m. A trip up to Topes de Collantes in the mountains is worth while - 25 CUC's. Another interesting trip is to take the ancient steam train to the Valle de Iznaga - your casa owner will tell you where to catch it. 10 CUC and you can get lunch at Iznaga where the train stays for about 2-3 hours. Viazul back to Havana for the last two nights. In Vinales there is a trova in what passes for the square admission 1 CUC. In TrInidad there is free music beside the church near Plaza Major every night until midnight and a couple of good trovas. Music is the very soul of the Cuban people!

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling in Cuba

Great thanks, where is the best place to spend Xmas day?

7. Re: Travelling in Cuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2012, 10:28