We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

I am debating whether to use a Canadian group called "Cuba Explorer" to secure a 8 day education tour of Havana and I think a national park. They have been diligent in answering my questions, etc. I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with this operation out of Vancouver? Tried to do a google search regarding reviews but nothing valid came up.

Thanks!

216 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

"... That's not true that they can't license Americans. HOWEVER, they only license Americans who go on their trips..."

=====================================

Absolutely false.

No Canadian travel companies are authorized by the OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) to offer sanctioned legal trips to Cuba for Americans. NONE.

Cheers,

Terry

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

Holy cow, enough with the PMs. Read it for yourself from Cuban Explorer's own website:

"... Licensed U.S. travelers are solely responsible for ensuring the validity of their license. Unlicensed U.S. travelers are solely responsible for any consequences that may arise as a result of Cuba travel..."

www.cubaexplorer.com/details/conditions.php

Cheers,

Terry

Union, New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

We went to the Cuban jazz festival in Dec and had the time of our lives. Cuba Explorer staff is just the best ravel agency I have dealt with. Friendly and accommodating . We met wonderful people from all over the US on our trip. I am now returning with my mom. I dealt with Graciella and Leonardo. Buses were first rate. Tour guides in Cuba speak many languages

Union, New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

We went to the Cuban jazz festival in Dec and had the time of our lives. Cuba Explorer staff is just the best ravel agency I have dealt with. Friendly and accommodating . We met wonderful people from all over the US on our trip. I am now returning with my mom. I dealt with Graciella and Leonardo. Buses were first rate. Tour guides in Cuba speak many languages

Hoboken, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

Hi--you used cuba explorer (this one: http://www.canadacuba.ca/)? Because it seems like some people confused two tour companies and I have a feeling a lot of people are talking about Authentic Cuba (http://www.authenticubatours.com/) and not Cuba Explorer, which is the company the initial post is referring to. I'm trying to plan a trip and looking for a cultural tour in January or Feb which Cuba Explorer has but Authentic Cuba does not. Thanks!!

Union, New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

We used Cuba Explorer based in Canada and would give them a 10 rating. They were extremely helpful. On our tour we spoke to many who also had nothing but great reviews. Our group was 54 people from all over the US, all ages, well traveled educated people who made the trip a blast. I am using Cuba explorers again this November.

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

Yes, looking to go to Cuba with Cuba explorer as Americans is it legal to go and also the money is it a problem can we have our passport stamped?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

"... Yes, looking to go to Cuba with Cuba explorer as Americans is it legal to go..."

===============================

No, it's not legal. Read Replies #21 & #22.

Cheers,

Terry

Kalamazoo, Michigan
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

I traveled this year to Cuba with Cuba Education Tours, also called Cuba Explorer Tours (CET). The people I met in Cuba were friendly and the time was rewarding. Here are impressions I have of CET and my experience.

1) In-Cuba touring was organized by San Cristobal Tours, a Cuban government travel agency. CET seemed to be operating as an agent for San Cristobal. When I asked CET about differences in what CET advertised and what was delivered (such as a missing overnight in a city), CET said, "We/they don't have the freedom to do most things our way or how it should be because everything there is controlled by the government."

2) Cuba requires visitors to buy Cuban health insurance. CET handled that purchase for my tour days, though not for the extension days CET booked for me as "a full-service travel agency and tour operator." I take this gap to be another example of point 1.

3) I was on my own to get a "general" U.S. license. My return to the U.S. was therefore on my mind while traveling. Indeed some in our group were delayed at the border when returning to the U.S. Some Cuba-travel operators apply for a "specific" U.S. license for their tours and therefore take on more responsibility for the license.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

" Some Cuba-travel operators apply for a "specific" U.S. license for their tours and therefore take on more responsibility for the license."

The point is that if the Company is licenced then the tour participants are covered by that licence.

"When I asked CET about differences in what CET advertised and what was delivered (such as a missing overnight in a city), CET said, "We/they don't have the freedom to do most things our way or how it should be because everything there is controlled by the government."

That's a nonsense copout!

Reply to: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted