We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips by train

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips by train

My hubby is a bit of a train crank, so he will insist on some train travel when we go to Cuba.

We will be staying in Havana, but can anyone recommend a nice day trip you can do by train? or somewhere to go for a over night stay?

We are more into history and sightseeing rather than beaches and water sports

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,226 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips by train

Trains in Cuba are highly unreliable and mostly unconfortable. What start as a 2-3h trip may end up taking the entire day. But if your hubby is a train buff, maybe just a short distance would satisfy him? You have an idea of the schedule here:

www.cuba-junky.com/cuba/train-schedules.htm

If you are planning a night trip, for nature sightseeing, I suggest Vinales. For a city sightseeing, then Trinidad is great, although a bit further.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips by train

I busted my "culo" trying to get reliable information about train service in Cuba. Even the government tourist office on Obispo had no informtion! People kept saying to go to the station and ask around. Too bad, as I'm also a "train crank" and Cuba has the only passenger rail service in the Caribbean.

3. Re: Day trips by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:41