We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Havana Cemetery Entrance

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
Havana Cemetery Entrance

Do you have to enter the Necropolis Cristóbal Colón through the main gate near Calle 12 or can you enter through one of the many streets leading up to the cemetery (at least on the map I'm using) such as San Antonio Chiquito coming from the Jose Marti Memorial?

Thanks.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Havana Cemetery Entrance

Main gate only. That's where you buy the entance pass.

Cheers,

Terry

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Havana Cemetery Entrance

Thanks Terry,

It makes the trip a bit further but my wife LOVES coco cab rides!

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
981 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Havana Cemetery Entrance

hi there - please don't forget that it will cost you 1 CUC to take pictures in the cemetary. better to declare than get caught if you don't pay>

cheers.

montreal
Level Contributor
616 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Havana Cemetery Entrance

I am not sure you have a choice of paying anymore, at least I was never offered the choice and I did not have a camera visible.

I still think it is the best value for your money in Havana, and right across the street, close to the tiny parqueo tematico infantile is the best moneda nacional fricasse in Havana

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Havana Cemetery Entrance

There's no free entry anymore, unless you're there to visit family. In other words, foreigners pay.

Agree with cps66, it's a fabulous deal and even someone who isn't "into" cemeteries will enjoy themselves because it's soooo over-the-top.

Cheers,

Terry

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Havana Cemetery Entrance

I think it is just another of Havana’s unique and amazingly interesting sites. We are going to bring a gift from my six year old granddaughter to give to La Milagrosa, she is enthralled by the legend

Amherst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Havana Cemetery Entrance

The cemetary was the most amazing and memorable part of our tour to Havana. Will never forget it. It is cetainly worth whatever they charge.This was before we ditched the tour to roam the city on our own.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Havana Cemetery Entrance

Yes nospam La Milagrosa (real name Senora Amelia Goyri) is one of the special sites there.

And TequilaNS - I almost get sick of posting every time someone asks for here for the name of a tour guide that Havana is a very easy and FUN place to self-navigate around.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Havana Cemetery Entrance

The Colon Cemetery is not to be missed. We caught a collectivo cab at the foot of Neptuno by Parque Centrale (where they congregate) and were let off on 23d street ("La Rampa") one block away - we could see the entry gate from there. (Our fare was 20 national pesos each, about 80 cents US) We were hit up for 5 CUCs each to enter, but no one asked us for monery to take photos. and trust me, you will want to take photos!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Havana Cemetery Entrance

You get a guide with your 5 cuc entrance fee. Take the guide! If you say

"naw, I will show myself around", you will end up fighting off the helpful security guards who expect a tip. If you have a guide, he will fight them off for free! Don't forget to find Raul Capablanca's tombstone (white marble chess queen), then visit the Capablanca chess club at the bottom of the Calzada de la Infanta (to view his trophies and death mask).