We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changing money on arrival at Havana Airport

London, England
Level Contributor
102 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
changing money on arrival at Havana Airport

I've understood that one has to change money on arrival in Cuba. Does this mean that when a plane arrives, hundreds of people rush to the Exchange desk to get Cuban CUCs? I will be arriving late at night, and would like to get a taxi into town without first waiting in line for ages to get local currency. What do travellers advise - is it (for example) possible to pay a taxi ride in Havana with Euros or £ sterling? Or should I just factor in a long wait at the airport to get CUCs?

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: changing money on arrival at Havana Airport

No big deal, really. The lines are rarely long, less so late at night. If so, withdraw cash from the ATM there.

Just like taxi drivers in London don't want pesos or yen, cab drivers in Havana will charge in CUC. Of course, if the driver knows the exchange rate you might get away with paying a nice overprice in pounds.

But easier to exchange or withdraw some cash. Again, nothing to worry about, it's much the same as in any airport in the world.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,632 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: changing money on arrival at Havana Airport

I've never seen a crazy line-up at the Havana Airport Cadecas. The majority of arrivals are repeat visitors so they already have CUC, and many others are being met by friends/family so they don't need CUC either.

There's a couple of Cadecas right outside arrivals, plus another one upstairs in departures and they all operate fairly efficiently. Lastly, there's an ATM as well which is also very fast of course.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: changing money on arrival at Havana Airport

well, I did experience big lines. We were waiting aprox half an hour to change money and it was around 8pm. But it looked like few planes arrived at the same time.(we had some delay) and if you arrive even later it shouldn't be that bad.

I would also advice to exchange only small amount of money at the airport and the rest next day in the town as the exchange rate is better outside of the airport.

As the others said you can also use the ATM. Hopefully it will work ;)

Veronika

London, England
Level Contributor
102 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: changing money on arrival at Havana Airport

Thank you all for these helpful replies. Very useful!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
209 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: changing money on arrival at Havana Airport

Got varying information regarding charge for cash withdrawal from ATM. Any one can clarify how much is the overhead for cash withdrawal from a savings account (not credit card cash advance)?

Thanks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: changing money on arrival at Havana Airport

When I called my bank in Canada they told me that they charge $5 for a foreign transaction fee, plus there is a fee of the ATM business/bank changes for using another bank's card there, and then your regular exchange rate. I've done this in other countries so on average I get charged about $10 withdrawal so I make it a large one. I would normally assume that it would be the same in Cuba but perhaps their ATM charge would be more or less (but your bank will still charge you something just have to find out what theirs is). And of course, it has to have the appropriate symbol on the machine, in my case the Plus sign.

I'd be interested in actual experiences in Havana with withdrawals and what the final total was in fees from anyone else.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,632 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: changing money on arrival at Havana Airport

ATM fees vary wildly depending on who issued your Credit/Debit Card.

Cheers,

Terry

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
209 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: changing money on arrival at Havana Airport

What I want to know if there is any additional charge while withdrawing via ATM in Cuba versus e.g. in India? I am aware of the transaction fee but that is fixed and tiny amount for my bank (a PLUS network one), but I read someone else says there is a certain percentage levied based on the actual amount withdrawn.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: changing money on arrival at Havana Airport

Just want to share my experience

Arrived at 6:30 p.m. and lines were extremely long. At least 1 hour. So it's better to go to a Cadeca the following morning and have some pounds.

But the good thing is that my taxi was already paid through Jorge.

10. Re: changing money on arrival at Havana Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 07:42