We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Havana to pinar del rio/vinales

united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Havana to pinar del rio/vinales

Hi .I want to drive from havana to above for overnight stay at either

I feel that i am a very confident Driver where i live in the uk.but i have never drove a car in ever in any other country.How easy or hard is it to drive in cuba .what are the rules on the road .thanks in advance...

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,034 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Havana to pinar del rio/vinales

The last part of the drive from Pinar del Rio to Vinales is very twisty. The first thing you should remember is to keep your eye on the speed limit as there are numerous police just waiting by the roadside to catch speeding motorists. It's all guesswork on their part as they don't have radar guns or the like.

Don't drive after dark as cyclists do not need to display lights on their bikes and there can be quite a lot of pedestrians on the road. Petrol stations outside the cities are few and far between but most are open 24 hours. There is a filling station in Vinales at the end of the main street.

Also car rental in Cuba is not cheap. If you rent for 3 days or more you will have unlimited mileage, but for an economy car you can expect to pay at least 60 CUC per day. Petrol is 1.40 CUC per litre for especial.

One other tip, do not drive within 5 metres of the vehicle in front, it's an offence, and if caught by the police you will be fined, just as I was on one occasion.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Havana to pinar del rio/vinales

Thank you..I will get another taxi even though it may cost a lot .sooner be safe, thanks.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Havana to pinar del rio/vinales

Have you thought about the Viazul bus to Vinales, would be a lot cheaper than a taxi.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,034 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Havana to pinar del rio/vinales

I went on the Viazul bus from Havana to Viñales just as LoonyLou suggested:

viazul.com

Cost 12.96 CUC.

Edited: 12 June 2012, 21:51
united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Havana to pinar del rio/vinales

Hi, thanks i have used viazul before,havana to varadero 2 years ago,excellant service. webb site at moment wont let you book. which has better night life,hotel /casas thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Havana to pinar del rio/vinales

Better night life? Pinar del Rio is a provincial capital. Vinales is a small town so no comparison, it doesn't stand a chance against PDR.

Casas? Vinales, hands down... it's a major tourist destination and likely has more casas per capita than anywhere else on the island.

Several different ways to easily get to either place from Havana, Viazul is just one option. Check with the tourists desks at any hotel.

Cheers,

Terry

montreal
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Havana to pinar del rio/vinales

FIRST: never drive at night,

SECOND: always, always watch the road in front of you, and never, ever look at the beautiful sight,

THIRD: whatch the pot holes,

FOURTH: whatch for animal crossing, humans included.

Why don`t you rent a car with a cuban driver ?

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Havana to pinar del rio/vinales

If only overnight skip Pinar del Rio and focus on Viñales. Pinar is probably the most boring provincial capital of entire Cuba (hope mom-in-law is not reading this thread…….lol.

If you will rent a car for other reasons then use it for this one. IT is not a big deal driving the route if just doing so carefully specially the hills section. Having a car handy will allow you to enjoy fully the area and what’s in its surroundings. If your holiday is open and you are in no hurry to reach your next destination you may decide to stay longer so the car will be good.

9. Re: Driving from Havana to pinar del rio/vinales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 06:42