We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent Eating and Places for Drinks Around the Melia Cohiba?

Vancouver and...
Level Contributor
167 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Decent Eating and Places for Drinks Around the Melia Cohiba?

Hi there, does anyone have any suggestions for a couple decent places to eat and grab a drink by the Melia Cohiba Either lively or quiet, live music is a plus, but not necessary.

I know there are much better options in other parts of the city, but this is just for a day when we get back to the hotel after either a long night or day travelling in from other parts, and not wanting to necessarily venture far from the hotel or deal with a cab ride or long walk.

We will enquire at the hotel, but wanted possibly less biased options found here.

Thanks.

Vilnius
Level Contributor
673 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent Eating and Places for Drinks Around the Melia Cohiba?

Jazz Cafe on top floor of shopping centre across the road.

PEI
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent Eating and Places for Drinks Around the Melia Cohiba?

I'll put my vote in for the Jazz Cafe as well. We were there several times last month. The food and drinks were good and the music was great. There is a 10 CUC cover fee which is really more like running a tab. You order food and drink and if by the end of the night you have spent more than 10 pesosyou pay the difference. With drinks 1.50 or 2 and food in the 5 range it's a good deal. They post the weekly schedule of musicians outside the door of the cafe.

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent Eating and Places for Drinks Around the Melia Cohiba?

What is your circle of convenience?

If you are up for a 15 minute walk up Paseo ...

There is Union Francesa at Calle 17 esq 6

It is on the corner diagonal to Parque "John Lennon" .

Another interesting option is Torreón de la Chorrera.

It is located at the mouth of the Almendares river on the Malecon in a "fort".

There is also a patio.

Vancouver and...
Level Contributor
167 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decent Eating and Places for Drinks Around the Melia Cohiba?

All of these sound great.

Thank-you for your suggestions.

The 15 minute is fine with us.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Decent Eating and Places for Drinks Around the Melia Cohiba?

I can't think of any really good places to eat within a 10 minute walk from there, except maybe Decameron which is a long time classic, although it has gone somewhat downhill lately. Personally I don't like the Jazz Cafe a lot, too high end and almost an extension of the hotel, way too cool AC. I would never eat there, but understand the attraction of a drink or two there if there's a good band playing.

There's a new paladar called 'Razones' on F e/ 3ra y 5ta which is pretty good.

Ourense, Spain
Level Contributor
504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decent Eating and Places for Drinks Around the Melia Cohiba?

http://havanamenu.com/?s=Advanced+Search&Municipality%5B%5D=54&Condition=false

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decent Eating and Places for Drinks Around the Melia Cohiba?

I vouch for Decameron, it's definitely a classic in the area. Food has improved. Location though is easy to miss.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,355 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decent Eating and Places for Drinks Around the Melia Cohiba?

How's the Atelier these days ? - that's close - http://www.atelier-cuba.com/web/index.php

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Decent Eating and Places for Drinks Around the Melia Cohiba?

For Drink: El Cocodrilo Night Club on 3ra and 10th street - 5 Blocks from Cohiba Hotel. It is nice place where locals love to go "The Show is in Spanish".

For Eat and Drink: El Centro Vasco (Restaurant, Bar and Night Club) on 3ra and 4th Street. It is 2 Blocks from Cohiba Hotel.

For Eat and Drink: Jazz Cafe is very Touristic but nice.

In my opinion, Those are the Top 3 place around Cohiba Hotel. Particularly, I like it better Cocodrilo and Centro Vazco.

The other options are the Paladares (private restaurants) like Atelier, Decameron, and other around.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Decent Eating and Places for Drinks Around the Melia Cohiba?

I forgot to mention in earlier posts.. La Chucheria is also a good drinking spot by the malecon.