We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to book flights online CUN/HAV on Aeromexico

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
How to book flights online CUN/HAV on Aeromexico

I'm Australian and I'm wanting to book a return flight later in the year from Cancun to Havana on Aeromexico, who I've noticed are still flying this route on selected days.

Can anyone advise how I can make a booking online? Do I need to go with a third party site? I'd rather book direct if I possibly can.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm in Aus, but Havana isn't an option when I select a destination (from anywhere - including Mexico City)yet I can see from looking at Flightstats.com that there are flights on this sector and the aeromexico site has tourist information on Havana as one of their destinations

It doesn't seem to alter things if I change the website language setting to Spanish/UK english/French etc.

Calling them is difficult from Aus...especially with the accent hassles (mine, not theirs!)

I'm not prepared to fly Cubana, and I'd rather not have to go via Mexico City and waste precious hours of my vacation.

Edited: 05 February 2013, 05:29
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to book flights online CUN/HAV on Aeromexico

Edit to add:

I've rung the Sydney agent number listed on the AM site but they can't make bookings on my behalf and have very little info on scheduling. Even as far away as Aus it seems the American embargo stems what info we have available.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to book flights online CUN/HAV on Aeromexico

I would recommend you PM..

fidelcastro1941

He has experience traveling from Australia to Cuba.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to book flights online CUN/HAV on Aeromexico

LOL...I will

I realise he's a user, it just sounds funny, messaging old Fidel for flight info, cuz lets face it, he probably knows a lot about it!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to book flights online CUN/HAV on Aeromexico

It's not the same person lol!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to book flights online CUN/HAV on Aeromexico

I wonder what the real Fidel's advice would be?

Cubana is the best airline in the world and I WILL fly on them???

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to book flights online CUN/HAV on Aeromexico

Air Cubana has really improved, no more of those Soviet era jets.

Go to http://www.cubana.cu/home/

They fly from Cancun now. About $250 USD. My last trip was through there.

Beware that Mexico has strict import rules, so if you are traveling be careful what you bring over since they want to tax everything.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to book flights online CUN/HAV on Aeromexico

Thanks CG.

In what way have they improved? I'm actually a aviation safety professional, so I'm looking beyond a/c type.....

Flying on them will make life easier schedule wise, so convince me :-)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to book flights online CUN/HAV on Aeromexico

Hello did you book using an American based card? Or did you buy the airfare when you landed in cancun? Trying to figure this part out. Thanks

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to book flights online CUN/HAV on Aeromexico

In the past they were flying older Soviet built planes. Not that they were originally poorly build, but it seemed like Cubana had the rejects, plus being very old and flying them up to the mid 2000's. Scary stuff, constant vibrations, seats that were not bolted to the floor, air pressure drops, etc... The flight staff was poor too.

Now they are flying Russian made Iliushin and Tupolev jets. Flight Staff was great. They still have flight delays, but I felt perfectly safe my last few flights.

At Jose Marti Terminal 1 is domestic, Terminal 2 is charter only, Terminal 3 is for international flights, and Terminal 5 is for "Caribbean Charters". Still not sure about that one. There's no Terminal 4, yet.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to book flights online CUN/HAV on Aeromexico

As for how to book an Air Cubana flight is you are in the USA. If one were to do that and circumvent the law, not saying I've ever done that....lol, but... find a non-USA travel agent, say in Canada, who will book the flight for you and send you ticket info and the Cuban Visa to you via US Post. There are a few who will do this and bill your US CC for General travel services, or other things, and of course add a little surcharge, say $25 USD for their troubles.

I would wait and buy your ticket in Cancun as Cubana flights can fill up quickly. There's was only one flight that left out of Cancun and only one that returns. Don't know if this changed. A friend of mine wrote a guidebook and he details all of this stuff it's at: amazon.com/The-Havana-Cigar-Tour-Tabakmann/…

Edited: 14 February 2013, 14:43