We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dual Polish/U.S. citizen traveling to Havana via Mexico City

San Francisco...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dual Polish/U.S. citizen traveling to Havana via Mexico City

So I live in California, have two passports, curious if anyone in a similar situation has done the flight to MEX on an American passport, then flown to Cuba on a E.U. passport. Curious if arriving back into Mexico which passport I would use...

And SO MANY other questions. As of 2013, is it still possible to pay for everything in USD? Is it possible to buy a CubaJet reservation with an American credit card, or maybe use a prepaid E.U. credit card with an American IP address?

Will I be able to email/phone the USA while I'm there to let my parents know I haven't been forcibly conscripted by the Cuban League of Baseball...follow up, is it easy to catch baseball games in July in Havana?

I REALLY want to just rent an apartment in Havana for the whole month of July (preferably within walking distance of as much as possible) and I'm curious what costs I'd be looking at to do so. I'm also curious what daily food/transit/entertainment costs will run me.

My Spanish is pretty decent (better than most tourists, at least) & I'm a pretty seasoned backpacker so I'm not looking for streetsmarts suggestions as much as ways to duck around the inhibitions of the U.S. embargo with my Polish citizenship.

Salud,

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dual Polish/U.S. citizen traveling to Havana via Mexico City

1/.Your Polish citenzenship/passport achieves nothing with respect to circumventing the restrictions on travel to Cuba by the US government.

The OFAC regulations apply unequivicably to all residents and citizens of the land of the unfree.

Having said that no one has been fined - even minimally - for many years now for illegally travelling to Cuba.

2/. You can't buy things directly with USD but you can exchange for the local currency but incur a 10% penalty c.f. other currencies. Whether that is still more economic than changing USD first into another currencies depends on many factors.

A non USA lined Visa or Mastercard will work in Cuba.The US government will prevent you from accessing a bank account via the internet if using a US ISP whilst in Cuba.

3/.Email OK but verrrrry slow

4/. There are heaps of casa booking sites - do a search here - many listed even in recent days.

5/. Also look at Lonely Planet's Thorntree Cuba site which caters more to independent non-resort frequenting travellers

6/ To reiterate -you can't "duck around" the US embargo - simply assume like 1000's of others every year that the non-enforcement will continue to be sustained. OR you could actually work to change your government's undemocratic policies?

3/.

Edited: 27 February 2013, 05:03
S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,467 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dual Polish/U.S. citizen traveling to Havana via Mexico City

Fidelito,

As per point # 5

I'm a member, and they treat me, just fine!

Kmelt, keep it as simple as possible. Plenty of Americans travel to Cuba every year! Hope it works out for you!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dual Polish/U.S. citizen traveling to Havana via Mexico City

ps yes you can buy an airfare from Cubajet (or CTN which is the same site) or from here all at the same price using a US credit card. This last site also serves to provide a doanation at no cost to you to a Cuban animal welfare organisation.

spankyproject.org/Spanky_Project/Book_Your_T…

Note that yoo can also use a US credit card to prurchase flights Mexico CIty-Havana on Interjet which is generally the cheapest airline

www.interjet.com.mx/home.aspx…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dual Polish/U.S. citizen traveling to Havana via Mexico City

Bob - I'm glad to hear that - it's a broad church!

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,467 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dual Polish/U.S. citizen traveling to Havana via Mexico City

Some times the TA Crew get a little boring. Nice to get over to see what some of the other Cuba Wackos are up to!

Goes to show you ,in my case, they'll let anyone in.

Salud!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dual Polish/U.S. citizen traveling to Havana via Mexico City

I resisted saying that - Je je je!

"Cuba Wackos" - I resemble that remark!

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dual Polish/U.S. citizen traveling to Havana via Mexico City

My friend has just an american passport and goes every year and has never been caught. In cuba they don't stamp your American passport, shoot they didn't even stamp mine and I went legally.

The chances of you getting caught are almost zero my friend, even with just an american passport. I would say go for it. i know plenty of people that do it and before I could go legally I I would go through cancun on a yearly basis. Is like going to the beach and getting bit by a shark if you know what I mean, I say take that swim.

Edited: 27 February 2013, 18:50
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dual Polish/U.S. citizen traveling to Havana via Mexico City

#7 prosecution rather than being caught is the issue.......shark bite is more likely!

9. Re: Dual Polish/U.S. citizen traveling to Havana via Mexico City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 07:16