We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking a room in a Casa Particulares

G G
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
487 posts
Save Topic
Booking a room in a Casa Particulares

I am getting the impression that even as an independent traveler I need to go through Pototo or Jorge in order to book a room in Havana. I'm fluent in Spanish so language is not a problem. I have seen reviews of all the nice Casa Particulares, but when it comes to get in touch with them, nada.

Is there a problem or the only way is going through Jorge and / or Pototo. I am traveling solo in Oct.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking a room in a Casa Particulares

To guarntee the exact Casa you want you may want to book through Pototo or Jorge. Booking through a third party website will usually be sufficient. Sometimes though if someone shows up before you and is staying for longer, you may get bumped to another place. Check out casa's at these sites: www.havanacasaparticular.com , www.yourowncuba.com , www.destinohabana.com , and http://www.cubaccommodation.com/ .

Edited: 29 August 2013, 07:47
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking a room in a Casa Particulares

If you want to have a place guaranteed then maybe going through Jorge or Pototo may be a better option. From personal experience, I can truthfully say that I have never experienced any problems when using Jorge for personal or group travel arrangements and all of our Casas have been of a very good standard so I do not hesitate in recommending him.

3. Re: Booking a room in a Casa Particulares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 13:06
Apopka, Florida
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking a room in a Casa Particulares

There are thousands and thousands of casa particulars just in Havana alone, much less the rest of Cuba. There is simply no way that Jorge or Pototo could do all the bookings. In fact, my travels cause me to believe that almost all the casas are not booked in advance but upon arrival at the door.

However, if there are some unique circumstances that only one casa will do out of everything available, then using either of them would seem to be your best bet to get that exact one. But for the life of me, I cannot think of why someone can only be satisfied with only one casa.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking a room in a Casa Particulares

Garcias, I speak from my very own personal experiences with using Jorges services for my own personal travel arrangements and for my group travel arrangements which I am perfectly entitled to do... I don't quite get where you are coming from with your post; I haven't said anything negative about anyone or anything so whats your gripe... I am allowed to state my opinions & experiences just as you are...Right?

My statement was.. IF YOU WANT A PLACE GUARANTEED ... then maybe bla bla bla ... I didn't say it was the only way; maybe you need to read what is written rather than what you think it reads.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 15:10
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,673 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking a room in a Casa Particulares

swansee, the situation is simple... the vast majority of casas have zero Internet presence, therefore a middleman like the 7 choices I gave you in Reply #1 here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147271-i387-k6772… can give peace of mind to a first time traveller.

Since you speak Spanish you can certainly arrange your own casa upon arrival, no big deal. A decent taxi driver will be happy to take you to several upon arrival.

Cheers,

Terry

G G
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
487 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking a room in a Casa Particulares

That was exactly my point I see there are thousands of Casa particulares; however, if you read a review on this forum that's you get. There is not a single link to the houses even those with email address.

I'm dumbfounded that "ALL" the private homes are showing the only way to get hold of them is via Jorge or Pototo. Am I missing something.? I checked both links and Pototo at least discloses the list of the Casa Particulares w pix. Whereas, Jorge very protected nothing.

Yes, I having been contacting directly with some of the Casa Particulares that have email access, and some are the same as listed on Pototo's site.

I can't understand, even on my recent trip to Nairobi I didn't encounter the same secrecy that I found to stay at a Casa Particulares in Cuba.

I read someone that has done extensive independent travel and he makes his first few nights directly, then gets recommendations from the hostess where he's staying, then he continues traveling thru Cuba

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
16,200 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking a room in a Casa Particulares

It is not a question of secrecy, really. It is practicality because internet access in Cuba is still not easy for the self-employed.

Many people want the comfort of a booking in advance - they either have to go through a middleman (or middle website) or find one of the few casas with their own internet presence.

canada
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking a room in a Casa Particulares

My wife and I have stayed in Havana several times and always book direct with the casa by phone never had a problem

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
16,200 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking a room in a Casa Particulares

(Sorry) - I should have written "booking in advance over the internet".

Re 7 - yes, I have seen a number of people recommend using the current casa owner to get the next.

I suspect post 3 was a response to post 1.

swansee - not wanting to be difficult, I would say that I don't think you can claim to be fluent if you don't know your singular and plural.