We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Miami to Havana

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Miami to Havana

Is it possible to get a flight from Miami directly to Havana? Do I have to be part of an organized group?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,276 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Miami to Havana

It's possible only if you have a licence from the governement. So yes, either you're part of an autorised group, or have family in Cuba, or have a licence to go work there, etc.

Apopka, Florida
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Miami to Havana

There are more flights from Miami to Cuba than any other departure point. Usually 10-12 flights per day to Havana. plus just about every other major city.

I believe someone still flys NYC direct to Havana but I do not know which carrier or schedule. I do not think it is scheduled daily.

Gengen is right about needing an OFAC license as these are all OFAC licensed daily charter flights. Family visit is the most common as it has no paperwork or approval. Organized license groups are a distant second in terms of number of passengers although there are many other ways to qualify for license to visit Cuba. All the OFAC licensing info is at treasury.gov/resource-center/…cuba.pdf

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Miami to Havana

Hi

if you are British and traveling on British Passport do you still require a "licence"?

Thanks

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
16,200 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Miami to Havana

The direct flights are only available to US residents or Cuban residents. The Us residents have to come under the OFAC rules. The Cuban residents, last I heard, need a visa from the US interests section in Havana.

The only British passport holders who can fly direct are those in one of those two categories.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Miami to Havana

The first flight from Key West to Havana, with people having a license, was launched in the last few days, the first flight in many, many years, and closer to Havana than Miami. The article I read, said that before the revolution, Americans would leave Key West in the morning, and return in the evening, after a day of shopping and sightseeing. The most recent flight had room for 9 passengers.

6. Re: Flying Miami to Havana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 05:17