We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging CAD to CUC Help

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging CAD to CUC Help

Hi all,

I am visiting Havana in February and am planning on bringing clean, neat Canadian Dollars since using my Debit Card isn’t an option. We will be staying in Vedado and wanted to know of reliable exchanges businesses nearby. Are banks the way to go or is it better to use the Cadecas?

Since we will be staying for more than two weeks, we will need to exchange a significant amount of money and then start phasing out the CUC’s as our vacation ends. Also, is it worth getting some CUC’s from the Airport, or just enough for the taxi ride? Thanks in advance!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12,914 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging CAD to CUC Help

In general, banks give slighty better rates than normal cadecas.

What time / day are you arriving ? In which part of Vedado ? Will you want go looking for somewhere to change money on your day of arrival ?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging CAD to CUC Help

Thanks for the quick reply! I am set to arrive at the Airport at 3pm on a Thursday and will be staying at a Casa a few blocks from the Hotel Nacional. Once settled in at the casa, we would like to get some CUC's. Thanks again!

canada
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging CAD to CUC Help

I would pick up $200.00 at the airport to cover the cab and a night or two at your casa then you can wander over to the Hotel Nacional to exchange more and have a drink on the back patio. Have fun

js

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging CAD to CUC Help

You'll find the worse rates at the hotels. There are several Banco Metropolitano's within easy walking distance of Hotel Nacional and a Cadeca up on 23 between M and L.

If you need a little cash at the airport, go up to departures if there is a long line at arrivals, the Cadeca up there almost never has any line.

canada
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging CAD to CUC Help

I agree the hotel rates are not the best but the Cadeca at the Nacional is not much different than the rest.I was thinking more of taking a walk and having a drink on the patio your first night in Havana plus I hate waiting in banks.

js

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchanging CAD to CUC Help

I appreciate everyones replies. I do not mind waiting if the rate is going to be a big difference. At the same time, if it is insignificant I may be better off just getting some CUC from the Hotel. Then the following morning head off to a bank bright and early. Does anyone happen to know the main Banks business hours? Thanks

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12,914 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchanging CAD to CUC Help

The Cadecas in the hotels may well be open later than street Cadecas or banks.

Check the website to see the actual rates given by Banco Metropolitano before you leave and compare that to the rate at the airport.

Edited: 26 December 2013, 21:32
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Havana
Level Contributor
404 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchanging CAD to CUC Help

You will need some CUC's for the taxi ride to your Casa.

Go to the Cadeca in the airport and change enough for a 4 or 5 days.

Then you can take your time finding the Banks and Cadeca's near your Casa.

I find that the exchange difference between a bank and a Cadeca is not worth waiting a long time to exchange money.

The Hotel National's Cadeca rarely has a long line up.. usually 2 or 3 in front of you. And its a good chance to sit and have a beer on the back terrace after.

Remember to keep enough Cuc's for the taxi ride back to the Airport when you leave.

Also, you will need $25.00 CUC per person for the tax at the airport when you leave.

Then a few more CUC 's are handy for that beer, coffee, sandwich or for what you buy in the Duty free shop.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchanging CAD to CUC Help

Thanks for the tips TopDog!

10. Re: Exchanging CAD to CUC Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 06:18