We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to spend 10 days in Cuba?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How to spend 10 days in Cuba?

We are planning a 10 day trip to Cuba in early April and are seeking advice on an itinerary. I guess we'll end up doing the usual touristy things in that time but would like to experience authentic Cuba too. Some questions:

1. How much time to spend in Havana? We arrive on a Monday evening and would like to experience some music - but do we have to be there at the weekend for that? Any recommendations/

2. We were also thinking of travelling to Cienfuegos, Trinidad, Santa Clara - anywhere else we should go? How much time in each?

3 We would also like to spend a few days on a beach, but don't fancy any of the beaches near Havana or Varadero? Wondered about Playa Ancon near Trinidad?

Would be grateful for any advice on how we can make best use of our 10 days, where to stay and in what order.

Many thanks

Apopka, Florida
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to spend 10 days in Cuba?

Cheers Terry will post his cut & paste response for first time visitors. It is excellent so give consideration to it. His first and then his closing comment is to get a guide book for basic info. I agree that is so important that it is worth suggesting twice.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to spend 10 days in Cuba?

I'm not a first time visitor and I do have a guide book, but obviously I wouldn't have posted if it answered my questions. Cheers.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to spend 10 days in Cuba?

Hi Colin... I would say that Havana justifies at least 3 to 4 days of your time and considering you only have a 10 day window I would say Havana, Cienfuegos and Trinidad are plenty enough for your time scale, especially if you have to be back in Havana on day 10. Do you have 10 days From start date to return date or 10 days for travelling before returning to Havana for return?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to spend 10 days in Cuba?

Playa Ancon is a nice beach but the "beach" hotels dont have the greatest reputations, also the hotels are approx. 10/12kms from the main Trinidad town so do bear that in mind.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to spend 10 days in Cuba?

Hi Lou

Thanks, probably good advice not to be too ambitious. We arrive on Monday evening and fly out Thursday evening, so that's 10 days and nights. I suppose it makes sense to stay in Havana the night before we fly home, but it means our Havana time is all early or mid-week and I just wonder if we'll be missing out not being there at the weekend. If we want to be in Havana at the w/e, it is hard to put together a sensible itinerary.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to spend 10 days in Cuba?

Thanks again. Given our likely itinerary (Havana-Cienfuegos-Trinidad-Havana) where would you suggest for a few days on the beach?

Santiago de Cuba...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to spend 10 days in Cuba?

Where are you planning on staying in Havana? If you are staying in Old Havana, there is no shortage of music here any day of the week especially down the touristy street of Obispo. I would shorten your itinerary to just include Trinidad to maximize your Havana time.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to spend 10 days in Cuba?

Thanks Simon, we expect to stay in the Old Town - not decided whether hotel or Casa Particulares so recommendations welcome - so good to know there's music all week. And just taking in Trinidad only is probably wise - still can't work out how to fit in a few days by the sea though.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to spend 10 days in Cuba?

Colin, who are you flying with? Have you booked anything yet? We found that to get a cost-effective happy medium It was best to incorporate Hotel stays with some independent stays.

To be honest, if you have only 10 days you will need to start and finish in Havana, unless you were to do something like Havana and Vinales (which is what I would be tempted to do with such a short time in Cuba), that way you could travel straight back to Havana airport from Vinales without too many reservations and with it being cost-effective.... or maybe do something like Havana and Hotel stay in Jibacoa and then do a day/overnight trip to Vinales so that you have the beach stay.... Trinidad is about 6 hours bus ride from Havana so you will lose 2 days of your vacation travelling... Your thoughts???? LOL

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to spend 10 days in Cuba?

Ditto Bob #1 - do a search for Terry's potted summary

Ditto Simon #7 both points. I've also posted a few times recently re Trinidad, Playa Ancon and environs.