We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Vinales Valley from Havana

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Vinales Valley from Havana

Is it possible to visit the Vinales Valley from Havana in a day? more to the point is it a reasonable thing to do? My time in Havana is limited.

If so what is the best company to use? There would be 2 of us travelling and we are staying centrally

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Vinales Valley from Havana

It is doable but it is over 3 hours travelling each way, you could get the early morning connectando or Viazul bus to Vinales but either bus wont get you there much before lunch time so it doesn't give you any time considering the latest return on the bus would be around 2pm ..... maybe consider staying overnight in a casa and taking the early morning bus back to Havana (7.30) or doing a mix of bus and taxi?

Edited: 11 January 2014, 11:15
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,439 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Vinales Valley from Havana

I did it once, left Havana very early (6am) and returned very late (11pm). It's totally doable, go for it!

united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Vinales Valley from Havana

It's doable,but not worth in my opinion,doing, 2pm return Viazul bus,there are a few of ?Cubanatour coaches going throughVinales, I don't know if they will let you hop on for a fee, and later departure,When me and my Wife went stayed for a night,still thought we were pushed for time?.

Western Canada
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
488 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Vinales Valley from Havana

In my opinion, Vinales is as close to heaven as you will ever get. Don't shortchange yourself. Stay overnight.

Dean

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Vinales Valley from Havana

Doing it one day via either Viazul or Conectando buslines is not practicable.

If definitely only one day available then there are a no of companies that offer individualised tours.

Here are a few of the reputable ones

www.cubaccommodation.com/activities.asp

http://pototocuba.com/Pototow/

yourowncuba.com/cuba-tours-services-transfer…

You can also use these for the more desirable overnight (or longer) trip for a total package or just a casa booking.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 02:46
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
16,279 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Vinales Valley from Havana

As they say, if you only have a day, a private hire is the way

lancaster
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Vinales Valley from Havana

We used Pototo. He really looked after us and is very informative and friendly. Cost is 160 CUC for full day.He took us to Orchid Botanical Garden in Soroa as well as Indian Caves. We also had a romantic lunch overlooking valley in Vinales. Would definitely recommend. You will find lots of recommendations for Pototo on Tripadvisor.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Vinales Valley from Havana

You really don't need a guide in Vinales .. the hoho bus (or taxi if you aren't paying for a guide..lol) is sooooo easy to use and takes you to the caves and you have a guide that takes you through them anyway... don't waste your money.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Vinales Valley from Havana

Good to hear another positive review of Pototo's services. Yet to hear/read a negative one in 7 years.

Whilst I personally wouldn't do a just a day trip to Vinales using him or one of the others I posted would certainly facilitate making such a trip much more enjoyable.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,439 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Vinales Valley from Havana

The ONLY thing I did not like in Vinales is the very tacky rock painting (you can't miss it). Fidel Castro was many things but he did not have an eye for art or where to display art.

Other than that, Vinales is a great gem in rural Cuba.