We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Married in Cuba

Dublin, Ireland
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting Married in Cuba

HI, Myself and my fiance are irish citizens, we have never been married before.

I am having a nightmare trying to find out what documents i need, i have got a certificate of freedom to marry, orignal birth certs and the birth certs translated in to spanish.

Do they all have to be stamped by the irish department of foreign affairs and the Cuban Consulate? We have been told the spanish translation needs to be verified by a solicitor, is this correct? If anyone has organised a wedding recently in Cuba please let me know.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,341 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Married in Cuba

Sorry to say, but you did all that for nothing... Since you are both Irish and have never been married, all you need is your passport. Some hotel also ask the birth certificat, but it does not need to be translated.

Now, you can relax and plan the rest of you wedding! Congratulations!

Dublin, Ireland
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Married in Cuba

I've been told by number of people including the Cuban consul that I need everything stamped by then. Do you know the regulations for Ireland

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,341 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Married in Cuba

The regulation for foreigners to get married in Cuba for 2 tourists is the same, what ever the nationality.

1- If never married: only the passport and in some cases, the birth certificat

2- If previously married, then passport and divorce certificat (decree absolut) translated in Spanish and authentificated by the Cuban consulate.

If a tourist marries a Cuban, then she/he will need her birth certificate and soleria (declaration of celibacy) in Spanish, both authentificated by the Cuban consulate.

Did you contact the notary who will marry you in Cuba or the hotel where you will be married? What did they say you need?

BTW, I'm 100% sure of the info I'm giving you.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,647 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Married in Cuba

The information Gen has given is correct.

If you have been told your information by your travel agent ,they give false info all the time.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Married in Cuba

The Cuban Consulates are sometimes full of crap too, many times they are utterly clueless regarding their own laws and regulations.

Cheers,

Terry

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting Married in Cuba

HI leeemm

We were married in Cuba 8 years ago. it was amazing for us. You haven't said which hotel you are staying at and are you getting married there on site?

You should contact the Wedding planner at the Hotel. They will be able to give you the correct info.

Also by contacting the planner you can have a rapport in place before you get there.

PM me if you want more info

regards

Dublin, Ireland
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting Married in Cuba

I really appreciate all your help, but nobody from Ireland has responded. I hve been told by our department of foreign affairs that i need a certificate of freedom to marry, i have been told by the cuban consul that i need birth certs, birth certs translated in to spanish and then everything stamped by our department of foreign affairs and the cuban consul. To be honest im getting worn out and nobody can give me a straight answer about what i need. i dont understand how there isnt a checklist of what i need.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,647 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting Married in Cuba

Being from Ireland has nothing to do with it.

You have been given the correct info fro Gengen.

Contact the hotel, or any wedding planner in Cuba and ask them.

They are the people who know better than anybody from your home.

Edited: 28 March 2014, 09:14
Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,647 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting Married in Cuba

weddingcubachannel.com/downloads/requisitos_…

Here is a link from the melia wedding site.

It says passport and visa.

But in all the weddings I have helped with it is passport and ( sometime birthcert )

Dublin, Ireland
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting Married in Cuba

it also says that all documents all need to be stamped by the cuban consul

4. All the documents must be translated into Spanish and duly legalized at the Cuban Consulate

of the country where said documents were issued.