We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World Cup 2014

Dublin, Ireland
5 posts
Save Topic
World Cup 2014

Hi I was wondering where the best places to watch the 2014 World Cup in Havana are? I've been before and I know the bigger hotels have Fox Sport TV etc.. and show them but I was wondering if there was anywhere with a genuine big screen?

It'll only be for a few matches as I'll be too busy but I'd still like somewhere to go to watch (what I consider) the bigger matches.

I'll be staying in the Parque Central and I know they will show it but I'd rather go somewhere a bit louder and full of people interested in the games to be honest.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: World Cup 2014

Havana Cafe at the Melia Cohiba.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,043 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World Cup 2014

No problems watching the World Cup in Cuba. It's even shown on the local terrestrial Cuban channels.

London, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: World Cup 2014

We are staying in the Nacional so it looks like the Havana Cafe could be a good option. My son wants to watch the England games but the rest of us aren't really interested. Is there anywhere we could drop him in Old Havana to watch with some like minded folk while we went out for dinner somewhere instead? He's 19 not a child so a lively bar would be ideal.

Ourense, Spain
Level Contributor
504 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: World Cup 2014

"La televisión cubana volverá a transmitir, en vivo, los 64 partidos de la Copa Mundial de fútbol, en Brasil. Esta es una excelente noticia para los fanáticos del más universal de los deportes en Cuba; aunque realmente el costo de recibir la señal en directo es elevado: la compra de los derechos de transmisión ascendió a 430 mil dólares, una cifra que el ICRT comenzó a abonar después de la edición de 2010 y esto hizo que el precio disminuyera un poco.

Otra noticia interesante: los principales cines de La Habana volverán a ofrecer los partidos del Mundial, a partir de la fase de cuartos de final."

So, all the matches will be on Cuban TV, plus on the main cinemas in Havana from quarters to fnal.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,043 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: World Cup 2014

The broadcast rights only cost $430,000. That is so cheap. No wonder Cuban TV are showing all the matches live.

6. Re: World Cup 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 05:15