We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a tour guide for the Havana?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a tour guide for the Havana?

Hi,

I recently got back from my 13 days trip to Cuba. What a wonderful country and population! I had the chance to visit the following cities: Havana, Trinidad, Santa Clara, Varadero, Vinales but it is about my experience with a really nice and well prepared guide from the Havana that I would like to talk about. His name is Santiago Flores who is actually a native from the capital and really loves and knows a lot about his city and his country.

I had the pleasure of meeting Santiago by chance in a hotel. He had just gotten back from a tour with a group of tourists. Unfortunately, the following day I was going off to visit other Cuban cities but at the end of my journey I still had two days to spend in Havana and that is when I asked Santiago to be my guide for one day. I could not have made a better choice!

We met near my casa particular and spent the afternoon in the part of the city opposite the Old town, basically at the Castillo del Morro and at the Cristo of the Havana, which was a beautiful area I hadn’t visited yet. It was nice getting there by using an almendron (the collective taxis used by Cuban people, collective in the sense that you will be sharing the ride with other people going in the same direction) and getting back to old Havana by boat.

I really enjoyed everything. Santiago knows a lot and is able to answer any curiosity. It is also nice to feel and see his attachment to his country. Moreover, I notices in Cuba a lack of knowledge of English language (which is also quite common in my country - Italy) but Santiago’s language skills are really good and will be able to carry out explanations not only in Spanish, but also in German and in an incredible English! Last but not least, he has also got a very nice personality. You will notice immediately.

Getting around the city with a Cuban and forgetting about the guide book was just great and provided me with a real sense of Havana.

I would obviously recommend him :)

His e-mail address is: chimbieren@gmail.com

Mobile: +53 53833855

FB page: https://www.facebook.com/chimbieren?fref=ts

He might not be able to answer immediately to your e-mails as internet is an issue in Cuba but should get back to you in 2-3 days.

Should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Francesca

1. Re: Looking for a tour guide for the Havana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 06:17