We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souvenirs

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
165 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Souvenirs

We always like to bring something back as a memento of a trip: preferably not tourist tat but a genuine reflection of the culture. For example, when we went to Marrakech we brought back some dyer's samples: great colourful skeins of wool. Our friends ask us why we have 'mops' hanging on the wall but we like their enigmatic nature and they really are a genuine piece of the culture! We also brought some old revolutionary plaques of Mao back from Beijing. Will there be anything to buy in Havana that will be a worthwhile memento of the culture there (I know Che's image is mass-produced for the tourist trade but we'll be looking for something more genuine.) Thanks guys.

Mentioned in this post
Authentic Cuban Tour
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Havana Excel Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Havanascape
Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
AVEC
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Souvenirs

I have seen some really nice art. Not massed produced, single pieces done by artists, I have heard that there is some hassle to get them out of country!

Kitchener, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Souvenirs

A friend of mine, mother .. gave me a painting once which she painted... It was smaller about 8 inches by 14 inches.. had no trouble getting it out... Maybe they pick on the bigger painting ! LOL

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
207 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Souvenirs

I was there in February and brought back several pieces of original art (not mass produced). In Havana there is a very large arts market selling everything from T-shirts to very nice paintings. Also, in Havana, visit Callejon de Hamel, the shortest street in Havana, decorated end to end with fanciful Santeria murals by one of Cuba’s most famous artists, Salvador Gonzales. While a bit "way out" very nice watercolors by his students are inexpensive. Also in Havana is Fusterlandia. another street weirdly decorated with ceramic sculptures. There, Jose Fuster, the Picasso of Cuba, has a gallery where paintings can cost thousands. However, signed ceramic tiles are very inexpensive. A worthwhile side trip from Havana is to Las Terazzas. Among other things, the reserve houses a small artists colony. One of my favorite souvenirs is a water color by Lester Campa.

Mentioned in this post
Callejon de Hamel
Callejon de Hamel
914 Reviews
Cuba
Fusterlandia
Fusterlandia
1,530 Reviews
Cuba
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
165 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Souvenirs

Sounds great. Many thanks guys. I'll look up Las Terazzas.

montreal
Level Contributor
226 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Souvenirs

Don`t forget to ask for an invoice; this will help crossing the border... both ways. No invoice...don`t buy...unless you will accept the risk !!!

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
165 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Souvenirs

Thanks Ben!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
207 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Souvenirs

Documentation on art is primarily for pieces with historic value. When we departed from the Havana airport only one person was checked by customs as she was carrying several very large pieces. While it was an inconvenience, she was passed with no problem. I asked for documentation in a couple of galleries and was told it was not needed.

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Souvenirs

You can get very nice cinema and political posters dating from the 60s onwards. You can also get pre revolution 'lobby cards' from films showing in the many Havana cinemas in the 40s and 50s, they tend to have the names of the cinemas written on the backs. Both can be found in Plaza de Armas and other places

Mentioned in this post
Plaza de Armas
Plaza de Armas
2,525 Reviews
Cuba
Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
165 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Souvenirs

Thanks guys!

10. Re: Souvenirs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 06:16