We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much on average to eat/drink in Havana (GBP)

Ely, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
67 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
How much on average to eat/drink in Havana (GBP)

We are looking to book a holiday to Cuba for 2015, 3 days in Havana B&B at the National and 11 days in Varadero all inclusive at the Melia Las Americas.

I am trying to work out how much extra money to take as we are B&B only in Havana and wondered if anyone could give me a rough idea how much it might cost with regard food and drink.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much on average to eat/drink in Havana (GBP)

You will be surprised, as you can go through quite a lot of money.

There is plenty more to see and do, but like everything it costs.

You do not say how many of you are going, but I would suggest between £50 - £100 per person per day.

You may want to see a show..you will have to eat out and also drink

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,295 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much on average to eat/drink in Havana (GBP)

The costs of food vary wildly depending on where you are eating, and also what you drink with your meal.

I will try to find some resources a bit later.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much on average to eat/drink in Havana (GBP)

We found Havana quite expensive, We went for the day and spent over a £100 with only a snack and a couple of drinks with our driver.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,295 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much on average to eat/drink in Havana (GBP)

blades - that sounds a lot ! How many of you were there ? And do you recall where in Havana ?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
404 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much on average to eat/drink in Havana (GBP)

For a couple I would budget at least 100 cuc a day.

That's if you are not a big wine drinker.

If you want to go to all the shows and expensive restaurants, drive around in a old 50's car..

At least double it..

If you acquire a couple of Cuban friends.. Well it could easily triple your costs..

Vilnius
Level Contributor
669 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much on average to eat/drink in Havana (GBP)

OK.... look at paying 5 cuc or so for a coctail, 3 cuc for a beer. Taxi to Old Havana 10 cuc. Do the hop on bus, it's 5 cuc per person.

Eating out at lunch maybe around 10 cuc... dinner 20 cuc plus.....

Kitchener, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much on average to eat/drink in Havana (GBP)

LOL nice one Topdog .. triple that if you acquire a couple of Cuban friends.. so funny ! Wow , some of the prices on here.... I must be cheap... never paid more then 1.25 cuc's for a beer .. my novia drank cocktails for around 3 cuc's , breakfast was 3 cuc's each , lunch was about 5 cuc's average ( sometimes less and some times abit more... then diner ( the big meal ) never paid more then 20 cuc's with a drink each ( per couple ) .. And if you stand on the other side of Ave 23 on calle P . you can grab a private cab ( 1/2 cuc per person ) to the Capitola and walk from there too old Habana ( where the prices are triple for everything ) , unless .. you walk a 1/2 or block off to buy ... then when you want to go back , go to the Capitola and stand on opposite side and get a private cab back ..( PS : these cabs have one route they follow.. so you have to ask if they go where you want ) .. Since you staying at the Nacional , they have a good breakfast , across the street ... Many restaurants up on 23 ave.. about 5 or more block also in front of the Havana Libra ... Night clubs on 23 ave with in a block or 2 ... The bar/restaurants at the corner of 23 and P .. has live music every night between 7 and 11 .. sometimes longer (just watch your change if a fatter girl is at the cash .. she likes to short change... lol ( waitress take the money to her ) ! ) Have fun , I did ... ;) And no , I am not cheap ! lol

Edited: 01 August 2014, 23:58
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,295 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much on average to eat/drink in Havana (GBP)

Things like drinks can be more expensive in state run restaurants than in paladares.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much on average to eat/drink in Havana (GBP)

If you want to eat cheap, then you can..If you want to eat cheap you can...But you have to find the cheap places, and they are not that easy, as all the places that you may want to visit may be state controlled

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,295 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much on average to eat/drink in Havana (GBP)

There are state owned restaurants and privately owned places (paladares). Both sorts cover a wide range of quality and prices.